Official Review: Memoirs Of A Dark Warrior

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: Memoirs Of A Dark Warrior

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memoirs Of A Dark Warrior" by Duncan R.M. Ferguson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Memoirs of a Dark Warrior is a book written by Duncan R. M. Ferguson. While it seems self-published, the e-book is formatted by ebooklaunch(.com). The author has compiled quite a number of short poetic writings he has done under their relevant titles, starting with the latest and finishing with the earlier versions written over the years.

The author opens up with a poem called Grab Your Tunic. It is about life growing up around a father addicted to alcohol. He proceeds to paint a picture of the times they spent together, how he learned business etiquette while they were on road trips, and the tough love he received. This was in an effort to see how his dad raised him the best way he knew. He writes other poems like Off The Grid, which is hard to follow, but full of contrast, like: ‘Belly dancers n’ necromancers’, and ‘Jovialty in Jubilee then back to the fields.’ In Clothes Left Out On the Line, It seems he is speaking of attempts to live a pure life but failing over and over. Reading further into the poem, it seems I would need to sit down with the author to understand what the rest of the poem was about. ‘Acid-rancid-lack of snowpack/anvil pill-or contract kill.’

What I like most about the book are the deep reflections that come through in his writings. They range in both subject and theme but seem anchored to the author’s Christian influence/belief. What I disliked most is what comes across as the ‘niche crowd’ that seems to be the target audience of the author, which makes his work a bit difficult to follow, unless you are from a similar background to his. I think he should have tried to make the material readable to a wider audience, as long as it didn’t take away from his flow of self-expression.

I would recommend the book to those who enjoy spoken-word poetry. I would also recommend the readers to have a dictionary close by because I think it is certain they will encounter a lot of unfamiliar words. The book is also a good challenge for those looking to expand their vocabulary as they appreciate the author’s unique viewpoint of life in the process of reading it. Those just learning to read english like children or speakers of other languages may find the content a bit challenging to understand.

I rate the book with 3 out of 4 stars because of the exclusive nature of the content, which otherwise could have appealed to a wider audience if curated for the same, and simplified grammar for easy readership also. The content is solid, though, with a lot of gems of wisdom the author shares that any reader will appreciate, especially those with some biblical knowledge, and more so, from a Christian background.

Memoirs Of A Dark Warrior
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I enjoy spoken-word poetry but not one with so many contrasts and grammar not simplified. Thanks for the heads on. Nice review!
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Poetry is something I find very difficult to understand and this book contains a lot of it. I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for the review though.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I Don't understand poetry much. I may pass this book. Your review was very great anyway .
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

Awesome review. I enjoy poetry and I felt endeared to this one. Apart from the ambiguous grammar, I think I'll love this one.
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

I am o lover of poetry... Shakespeare made me love poetry! This is difinitely a book I should read!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I Love memoirs. But one written in poetry? Not so sure. A poetry with lots of vocabulary I won't be familiar with? Definitely not. You did a great job here though
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

I always find poetry not easy to understand . But I will try this one .
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

praise+anyi wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 13:46 Awesome review. I enjoy poetry and I felt endeared to this one. Apart from the ambiguous grammar, I think I'll love this one.
I think you will enjoy it, give it a go!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Princepetr10 wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:49 I always find poetry not easy to understand . But I will try this one .
Please do, maybe your experience will be different to mine...
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Elmaestro wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 15:24 I am o lover of poetry... Shakespeare made me love poetry! This is difinitely a book I should read!
I have a feeling you'll like this too, I'll be on the lookout for your take on the book😉
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Ogoskino wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 05:58 Poetry is something I find very difficult to understand and this book contains a lot of it. I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for the review though.
There is definitely a level of self-interpretation involved when reading poetry. It gets in the way of understanding the author's initial intent/ thought while writing. But once you get it, it becomes really enjoyable.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Salma_asa wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 07:20 I Don't understand poetry much. I may pass this book. Your review was very great anyway .
Thanks for passing by, and your kind comment.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 05:33 I enjoy spoken-word poetry but not one with so many contrasts and grammar not simplified. Thanks for the heads on. Nice review!
I wonder what your experience would be if you were to speak out loud his poetry while reading. I didn't try that, but that was the impression I got out of reading this book. The writings may also be composed songs.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”