Official Review: Pipeline to God by Richard Rimestad

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Pipeline to God by Richard Rimestad

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pipeline to God" by Richard Rimestad.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"No sin, no sorrow,
no bad news on the morrow.
No illness, no fever,
no unholy deceiver."

From "What Heaven Will Be Like"

Doesn't that sound like a verse from an old gospel song? I can hear rugged baritone voices mixed with strained sopranos echoing in a pine-paneled sanctuary, floating through the roof to God. There are many poems crafted with similar old-fashioned tones in Pipeline to God by Richard Rimestad. This collection of poetry focuses primarily on living a Christian life. Others are about situations that come with aging and even the loss of long-time friends. There are three poems that mention the author's dear friend, Jerry. Reading about their friendship allowed me to know more about the author, and I appreciated his openness.

I like to see imagery and figurative language laced throughout the poems I read, and this author uses a little of both. One use of imagery stuck with me, and that was in the poem "Waterfall:"

"Christ is the waterfall over which my sins flow,
deep into nothingness far below.
My soul cleansed as my offenses break on the rocks,
and acting as a barrier, my future sins to block."

These lines produce a vivid picture, pulling me into the words, and I would have loved to see more of that throughout the collection.

Many of the topics were intriguing, and the heart of the author came through in most of the poems. However, rhymes sometimes seemed forced, with lines being too long to fit the rhythm. When rhythms change abruptly, that causes readers to lose focus. Or, at least I feel that way as I read. Changes in meter can be jarring, which is appropriate if used in a poem meant to shock. However, it happened so often in this collection that I found it wasn't being used as a device.

Additionally, many subjects, verbs, and objects in sentences were inverted to make the rhyme fit. I understand that inverted syntax is a practiced feature in some styles of poetry. However, it doesn't sound natural, and overuse can make readers stumble and miss the intended experience. Some of the poems would have done just as nicely if they were free-verse poems that didn't squeeze too many words together or cause odd meters.

I give this collection 2 out of 4 stars. There were only a handful of minor typographical errors, so I am not removing a star for that. However, I am taking two for the simplicity of the poetry. Yes, yes. Poetry is what you make it. The beauty of poetry is in the mind of the beholder and all. But with three stars, I would need to recommend it, and I cannot recommend this collection it in its current status. I would love for the author to edit for rhythm and meter. The poems would retain their meanings, yet they would be more easily read and enjoyed by the reader. I would also like to see more imagery and figurative language incorporated into the verses in order to help bring them to life.

For those who may decide to dive into Pipeline to God, prospective readers should know this is a clean read. It doesn't contain profanity, sexual situations, or gore. I certainly appreciate that.

Pipeline to God
View: on Bookshelves | on eBay
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It seems like this is very much a rough draft still, and I hope that the author takes your suggestions into account! Thanks for the review.
Olando
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Olando »

As a christian this guided us about our sins,more so about sexuality.Thanks alot

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”