Official Review: My Love: Poetry & Prose

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Official Review: My Love: Poetry & Prose

Post by Noosh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Love: Poetry & Prose" by Elijah Napuri.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How do you write a summary of poetry and short prose? My Love: Poetry and Prose by Elijah Napuri is a collection of very short yet touching poems and poetic prose. With titles like "Waiting," "Cupid," "Shooting Star," etc. he captures his reader's attention and holds on to it until the very end. This book is about love, having, losing, and coping. It's about heartbreak and how it can turn you into a poet. As Elijah very simply and wonderfully put it in "A Poet," "Some say it takes a lifetime to become a poet. I say all it takes is a broken heart."

The cover of the book is quite simple yet so classy and elegant that you can't help but pick it up and open it. That's the first thing I loved about the book. But then I started reading, and it was like a pleasant summer day; cozy and delightful. It was like coming back home after a long time. From the very beginning, the very first entry, I fell in love with Elijah's words, and I couldn't put it down. I felt everything that was written on these pages by the poet.

As a literature student, it was a wonder how I hated poetry back in the day. Then a new professor came in, and we signed up for his class. He instructed us on how to read poetry and how to cherish it. I owe him my love for poetry these days. He used to say that if you want to read a poem, try to read it aloud, taste the words and let them roll off your tongue. That's how I read My Love: Poetry and Prose and loved it.

There was not a single thing that I didn't enjoy or love about this collection of poetry and prose. The fact that all entries were short made it more fascinating. It's a perfect choice for when you want to read but don't have a lot of time. The fact that even the prose was sometimes musical and always poetic added to my pleasure of reading. The fact that they all talked about things that we already know or have felt made it more real and easy to love.

I was sure from the beginning that I was going to give this book a 4 stars rating. However, I did find a good number of grammatical errors that I can't in good conscience ignore. The whole text needs to be looked at again by either the author or an editor. Therefore, with regret, I will give My Love: Poetry and Prose by Elijah Napuri, 3 out of 4 stars.

I, of course, recommend this book to everyone who loves poetry, ever been in love, or has a broken heart. I recommend it to anyone who would prefer to sit in their comfortable reading corner in the evenings after a long day at work and want to read something pleasant. I hope you all enjoy it.

My Love: Poetry & Prose
View: on Bookshelves
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Not one for poetry, me. But this sounds like a very readable collection and I'd love to pick it up some time. I just don't like it when I need to someone to explain a piece to me even though I understand all the individual words haha! Your review was very honest, thanks.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

La Cabra wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 01:54 Not one for poetry, me. But this sounds like a very readable collection and I'd love to pick it up some time. I just don't like it when I need to someone to explain a piece to me even though I understand all the individual words haha! Your review was very honest, thanks.
This isn’t one of those difficult poems that need explanation for us to understand. It’s very simple and elegant. Hopefully, if you pick it up, you’ll enjoy it :)
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
imashakavinda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by imashakavinda »

i havan't read this book yet but the sound like the book is so flavourful to read I hope the readers of this book gain lot.. :techie-studyingbrown: :idea2:
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

I wish there were less of grammatical mistakes. But the poems seem to be good. So I will give it a try

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”