Official Review: Poetry The Mind Is A Maze

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Official Review: Poetry The Mind Is A Maze

Post by OliviaLouise »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetry The Mind Is A Maze" by Tshekedi Wallace.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Poetry The Mind is a Maze, poet Tshkedi Wallace wanders the maze of the human psyche, exploring both the material and the spiritual in language that is at times raw and abstract. The speaker carves a sense of good and evil out of the world around him as he contemplates life in the ghetto and the many challenges a young man faces in the midst of crime and violence. The poetry in this book bleeds fear and regret, questioning the significance of a life that does not leave an impression on the world.

The organization of a collection of poetry can make or break a book. In the case of Poetry The Mind is a Maze, the poet creates stunning arcs that span from birth to death, from good to evil, and from anonymity to notoriety. At the end of the collection, the reader feels in tune with the speaker’s internal conflict, as though they have come to know him on a personal level. The poet has clearly given careful consideration to the process of building a strong core and telling an impactful story through poetry. The end result is that the many themes that the poet intricately threads through his collection are successfully carried to the end.

The challenge that many readers face when encountering new poetry is how to read it. When in doubt, the best way to begin is to read it aloud. In reading aloud, the reader discovers all the little ways that the poet has played with sound and meter. Tshkedi Wallace’s poetry is written largely in free verse with little discernible meter, with the exception of a few poems toward the end of the collection. However, his attention to sound is exquisite. In the poem “Day in the Ghetto (Hood Life)” (loc 252), lines 7-9 read, “The father is broken, the mother loses her baby’s life / Ghetto strife, ghetto life, brothers take the toil / Someone will get hoodwinked, get played, fall to foes.” Like much of the poet’s work, this poem contains several usages of sound devices such as internal rhyme, assonance, and alliteration. Consequently, this poetry contains a number of enjoyable sounds that flow well together.

Unfortunately, several of the poems toward the beginning of the book contain lengthy, cumbersome lines that are difficult to read. Although the poetry toward the end of the book becomes more polished with shorter lines and diversified language, the beginning pieces feel stiff and formal. In “Dark Angel Eyes” (loc 76) lines 6-8 say, “All my strength I might use; my father for you I kill. / Those I defeat will receive no blessing; I would rather die. / This beast’s reign must end, a hand to smite evil to hell.” Words like “smite” and “reign” contrast sharply with language like “ghetto” and “hood.” The formality of phrasing such as “for you I kill” and “all my strength I might use” later shifts to a far more contemporary way of speaking, which creates confusion for the reader about the identity and consistency of the speaker. These stylistic choices take the reader out of the poetry and make the reading experience far less immersive.

Overall, this is an impressive collection of poetry with a great many things going for it. Thematically and tonally, I imagine it must have been a significant undertaking for the poet, and I deeply appreciate the end result. Consequently, I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars. If the poet were to revise some of the earlier poems to be stylistically consistent with later ones, I would gladly rate this book higher. If you enjoy contemporary poetry with a lot of internal conflict to unpack, this book is for you. If you are not a frequent reader of poetry, this might not be an ideal entry point.

Poetry The Mind Is A Maze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
missfrombliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missfrombliss.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by missfrombliss »

I like free verse - the work you do you can wholly say it is yours; your make the rules. Going through maze like a metaphor of going through life figuring it out and coming up on situations you don't how you got into, and that reading from someone you don't know and then coming to know the author after two verses at that dark and intimate level. I really admire those works of being vulnerable to the world. Suffice to say, I'm very interested in reading some of it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry just isn't my forte. This collection sounds intense, and I do like the themes presented. I just don't think I could get through it, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This kind of poetry isn’t really my thing, so I’m going to pass for now. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Your description of the author's work reminds me of some of the better rap albums produced. There's a narrative and a style that seem to come from the lines you selected to illuminate exactly what the author is saying in beautiful detail.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
yvayner
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yvayner »

What you said about the switch between formal and colloquial language being jarring was spot on. A lot of people who are new to writing will force formal language because they assume that's the way poetry should be written, which of course, simply isn't true.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”