Official Review: Finding that Warmth in the Frosty Nights

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Finding that Warmth in the Frosty Nights

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding that Warmth in the Frosty Nights".]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding That Warmth in the Frosty Nights by Roshana Nazari Kirchhofer is a collection of sixty poems about the ups and downs of relationships, food, happiness and sadness, family, female power, health, being a mother, and being a nurse. Unfortunately, it's really not very good.

I love poetry but was wary when the Amazon sample was too short to show any of Roshana's poetry. Her own website didn't even tease any lines! Then I cracked the book open and realized why: every poem in this collection needs further refinement. There are countless forced rhymes, numerous lines that stretch on far too long, and well over a dozen grammatical errors.

This is a real shame as the author has a lot of potential. There were a couple of excellent lines in the book, and many of the concepts in the poems were terrific. For example, in "As If a Candle" is this line: "If you do not ignite me, / I cannot provide you with scent or light." This is so simple yet so powerful! Other poems come close to awesomeness but still need work. In "Proving Others Wrong," Roshana explains that she's a mermaid because she ate sushi and "you are what you eat," so she's concerned about driving home. "Desirable Poison" is the closest to excellence, and it's my favorite poem of the collection. Here, in merely six lines, she manages to explore just how badly love can hurt.

The majority of the book, though, is forgettable. "Play-Name" tries to be funny by telling men that if they don't understand women, they should use Google, but it's ruined by the forced end-rhymes. The title of "Be Polite, She Will Treat You with Light" is almost as long as the poem itself: "Use your mother's taught wisdom and don't call any woman: / Fat, pregnant, old, or even angry. Because even if we are, we really are not!" I understand that it's not good to insult anyone, sure, but the last sentence ruins it. Telling a woman that she's pregnant or angry doesn't pacify her or remove her baby. Finally, there are a few poems like "Anxiety" that are more like statements broken into individual lines to look like poems than actual poems.

I really wanted to like this book. I just wish that Finding That Warmth in the Frosty Nights was far more polished. My rating of the book is 1 out of 4 stars, although I'd give it a star and a half if I could. What kept me from rounding up to two stars instead of rounding down to one is simply that I would actively warn people against reading this book if they asked about it. With that said, I'll still be keeping an eye on Roshana's poetry in the future. She has the potential to be a remarkable poet!

Finding that Warmth in the Frosty Nights
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

It is such a pity that there were so many errors! Hopefully, the author reads your advice and uses it to improve her future books. Thank you for being honest about this poetry collection.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Not a fan of poetry myself, but some of the ones you've mentioned really did spark my interest. Too bad it's that inconsistent though. A good editing job should help this collection.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It is too bad that this book failed to meet the mark.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

You must be an expert in poetry to be able to analyze the poems this deeply. I am compelled to read this unperfect poetic collection, notwithstanding. Congratulations on a good review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Sorry you didn't enjoy it! I don't think I would either. It's a shame there were so many flaws. Thanks for the great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

I feel bad for the author who has do much potential but it didn't come out good. Thanks for the review
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I think this author could benefit from a writing coach or a few beta readers. I do love the "Candle" line you quoted! I hope this poet puts in the time and effort to improve.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

This book was somewhat satisfying to me, though it had a few errors, it's a good book overall, and I enjoyed reading it.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I'm glad you mentioned the poet's potential. There is hope 😊 I found your review honest and interesting

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”