Official Review: The Word of Mankado by Roger Ranchino

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Re: Official Review: The Word of Mankado by Roger Ranchino

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Besong Esther Shawn wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 17:00 I never enjoyed it as expected i dont love reading long poems because when it is long it becomes borring makx me to be less interested you have thé inspiration keep it up sorry for that point
Thanks for commenting!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Meg98 wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 21:10 I don't think I would enjoy this collection... It sounds a bit confusing and inconsistent. Thanks for your honest review! Cheers
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - much appreciated!
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

There is a place called Mankato, MN. I had family from there years ago. Also, Mankato is interesting because it got hit by a tornado years ago - there is, or was, a tree that shows what the tornado did to it somewhere in town. And, there was a Sioux uprising there - I think. Also, odd story but, I was born in 1973 and my mom was a secretary with long, rather slender legs. In 1973, the racehorse Secretariat won the Triple Crown in horseracing - a feat that is not often accomplished. All modern day Thoroughbreds are descended from at least one of three horses: the Byerly Turk, The Godolphin Arabian, and the Darley Arabian. It's not a secret that years ago wealthy slaveowners kept track of their livestock more than their slaves. It has also popped up in literature that a character is a creature of sorts: In Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis the main characters finds himself transformed into a beetle, in William Faulkner's novel As I Lay Dying, a young boy concludes that his mother is a fish. There is an Arabian horse named Mikado, more than one by this time. Anyone else following the same theory might have figured this writer was related to Mikado, which I'm assuming somewhere along the way, was actually a person. It's probably easy to mistake a Hispanic for an Arab. Not that any of this is actually true or factual, it could just be a theory and would lead the writer in the absolute wrong direction, but interesting to think about the possibility. I haven't read the book, so it's hard to say. Incidentally, in one episode of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", the older daughter says to one of her friends while they are "assessing" others at a prestigious club, something to the effect that her friend shouldn't judge this other girl so harshly as "she just won the Kentucky Derby". If wealthy had been doing this, they might have not have a bad reason for doing so. I could be totally wrong, however.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”