Official Review: The Word of Mankado by Roger Ranchino

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Official Review: The Word of Mankado by Roger Ranchino

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Word of Mankado" by Roger Ranchino.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Word of Mankado is the first published collection of poems by Roger W. Ranchino. The title of the book is a bit of a puzzle. A google search throws up a place called Mankato in Minnesota, close to where the author was born, but that is the only reference. The book has no introductory notes or foreword, so the author does not explain the meaning, nor is Mankado mentioned again in the text.

The book runs to seventy-nine pages and contains fifty poems. The back cover describes this collection as ‘a journey of self-reflection and truth.’ As if to emphasize that fact, the first poem in the collection is entitled ‘Me.’ It is almost as if the author is setting out his writing agenda or manifesto. The first stanza is as follows:

I feel the need to write
My memory on the line
I’m more than just a picture
I’m thoughts of summertime

It is an appropriate manner in which to start this collection because that is the way the book continues, both thematically and technically. Thematically, this poem is typical, in that the majority of the poems feature the poet analyzing his own feelings, his own situation, or both. Topics covered include the passage of time, parenthood, children, death, and illness. The result, unfortunately, is that this could not be described as an uplifting collection. The ‘I’ in these poems – and one must be wary about always reading poems as autobiographical - seems to be an individual weary of life, someone who believes his happiest days are behind him. In the poem ‘Special’ he writes:

My appearance holds the years
Have a wife and some kids
It’s sad to think the best times
May be something I already did

In this same poem, he tells the reader that he is 45 years old. That sounds too young to me to be getting so maudlin, but perhaps the writer was having a bad day. There are one or two poems written in a lighter vein. The poems ‘Miss Mastercharge’, ‘Honeymoon Horror’, and ‘Mowing’ are three of the poems in which the writer attempts to insert some humor into the collection. Humor is an individual thing, obviously, and not everyone will find these poems funny, but at least they are an attempt to lighten the mood a little.

Technically, every stanza of every poem in the collection is written in the same 4-line format with the same ABCB rhyme scheme. Sometimes the rhymes are full matches, at other times they are half-rhymes. The rhythm and meter of the lines seem to be randomly assigned. In truth, there is more craftsmanship and design to be found in the lines inside a greeting card.

The cover tells us that the book ‘reaches for the thoughts, laughter, and tears inside all of us.’ In my view, it doesn’t reach far enough. I am giving this book two out of four stars. It is not a book I enjoyed, but it is error-free and has an interesting cover. It has no sexual or religious content to offend anyone. The themes of the book are such that it is probably more suitable for young adults and upwards. People who like their poetry plain and unpretentious may find this collection of interest.

The Word of Mankado
View: on Bookshelves
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Poetry doesn't normally catch my interest unless there is something particularly well-phrased or insightful about it. I will probably pass on this book. Thank you for your honest comments!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Brendan Donaghy

Rachel Lea wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 09:19 Poetry doesn't normally catch my interest unless there is something particularly well-phrased or insightful about it. I will probably pass on this book. Thank you for your honest comments!
You're very welcome, thanks for commenting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really like to understand the title at some point. It's too bad this doesn't. I don't enjoy poetry in any case. It sounds like this needs some work. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Brendan Donaghy

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 19:19 I really like to understand the title at some point. It's too bad this doesn't. I don't enjoy poetry in any case. It sounds like this needs some work. Thanks.
Yeah, I always like to understand the title too. I feel it gives me a few pointers as to what the author is thinking about. Thanks for commenting!
acopj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by acopj »

You got me by 'need to write..my memory on the line.' It said everything I had to know about the book.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The title is intriguing! I appreciate the research you did on the name. I don't read much poetry, but I did enjoy the stanzas that you included in your review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I actually have a friend from Mankado, MN, and now I want to go ask her if she knows about the book/author.

Sadly, I think the poetry would bother me, as I tend to care more about rhythm and measure than I do about rhyme schemes. And sticking to such a strict rhyme scheme through the entire book seems like someone who doesn't understand poetry and thinks it all has to rhyme.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Well, this is unfortunate. I saw the title and decided to check it out, so I'm kind of disappointed that the book doesn't live up to the promised interest from the title. Seems like the author was writing on rote, which is never good given the subject matter he handles. Even if it's not autobiographical, the use of "I" in poetry always presents a unique way of pulling the reader in, so I'm sorry that it didn't happen in this case.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Brendan Donaghy

acopj wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 07:12 You got me by 'need to write..my memory on the line.' It said everything I had to know about the book.
Thank you for your comments!
Brendan Donaghy

kdstrack wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 21:30 The title is intriguing! I appreciate the research you did on the name. I don't read much poetry, but I did enjoy the stanzas that you included in your review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks for commenting!
Brendan Donaghy

esp1975 wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 10:51 I actually have a friend from Mankado, MN, and now I want to go ask her if she knows about the book/author.

Sadly, I think the poetry would bother me, as I tend to care more about rhythm and measure than I do about rhyme schemes. And sticking to such a strict rhyme scheme through the entire book seems like someone who doesn't understand poetry and thinks it all has to rhyme.
That's interesting. As I mentioned above, the title confused me, since the only reference I could find online was to Mankato, rather than Mankado.
I agree totally with your comments about rhyming poetry. There are examples in the book of words being almost forced in with a crowbar in order to achieve a rhyme, which really isn't the point of the exercise.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Brendan Donaghy

Nisha Ward wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 23:52 Well, this is unfortunate. I saw the title and decided to check it out, so I'm kind of disappointed that the book doesn't live up to the promised interest from the title. Seems like the author was writing on rote, which is never good given the subject matter he handles. Even if it's not autobiographical, the use of "I" in poetry always presents a unique way of pulling the reader in, so I'm sorry that it didn't happen in this case.
Thanks so much for your comments!
Besong Esther Shawn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Besong Esther Shawn »

I never enjoyed it as expected i dont love reading long poems because when it is long it becomes borring makx me to be less interested you have thé inspiration keep it up sorry for that point
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I don't think I would enjoy this collection... It sounds a bit confusing and inconsistent. Thanks for your honest review! Cheers
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”