Official Review: The Rantings of a Madman

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: The Rantings of a Madman

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rantings of a Madman" by Ahmad Zaidi Naqvi Qureshi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Rantings of a Madman: A Schizophrenic’s Story is a poetry book that details the mind of a schizophrenic and his struggle with making sense of his reality. The book focuses on the reality of the spiritual, supernatural, and metaphysical, which is made possible through God being the foundation of reality. Based on his experiences living with schizophrenia, Ahmad Zaidi Naqvi Qureshi explores a world that is made possible through his disease.

The book uses three central themes: God, Truth, and Reality. As God is treated as the foundation of Reality, the author finds Truth in God, which helps him navigate through his delusions in his Reality. For the schizophrenic, Truth is not limited in choosing between binary opposites (love and hate, light and dark). Since logic breaks down in the mind of the schizophrenic, the struggle of the schizophrenic lies in navigating through the reality that is accessible to him.

It is interesting to note the coherence and inferences made possible through this book. Since God is treated to be the only reality in Islam, the author takes this to heart and extends this belief relating to his experiences. He infers that his delusions, which may bring him “tricks and lies” and “deceit and conceit”, is the work of the devil. Only through knowledge (Truth in God) can the author “avoid the devil’s traps.” It’s good to see that this coherence fits naturally in the book.

But seeing as the book talks about abstract concepts such as God, Truth, and Reality, there is a lack of imagery in the poems. The reader is presented with multiple binary opposites, yet the book doesn't do much to flesh out the meaning of the contradictions. Because of this, it is sometimes hard to make sense of what the author is trying to mean. While I think that this may be intentional as the poems correspond with the author trying to make sense of a reality he's struggling to grasp, the poems may still feel too bland to read at times because of the lack of imagery.

Nevertheless, the poems contain insights that are unique to the author. Given that the book is professionally edited, The Rantings of a Madman: A Schizophrenic’s Story can be a good read that allows readers to peer inside the mind of a schizophrenic. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I believe that the book can be further improved by using imagery to make the poems more vivid. I can recommend this book to people who are interested in thinking about reality the same way as the author.

The Rantings of a Madman
View: on Bookshelves
-rk
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think anyone that doesn't struggle with mental illness finds it hard to understand and relate. So, this book is great in that regard. I'm not one for poetry, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I generally do not like to read poetry so I doubt I would find this a good read. I am sure that a book written from a schizophrenic's view would be interesting but I think I will pass on this one.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

The title of the book is catchy. I might read the book just for this reason. Your analysis of the poems seems fair and interesting.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your analysis of the poems in this book. The relationship between God, Reality, and Truth is interesting. This volume of poems is quite an accomplishment and can inspire others to pen their thoughts and feelings also. Thanks for the interesting review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

While I can get behind what the author is trying to do here, the lack of imagery to illuminate the concepts being handled makes it a hard pass for me.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”