Official Review: Lyrical Voices

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Official Review: Lyrical Voices

Post by jemgirl202 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lyrical Voices" by Frankie L Fipps and Lakeela L Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetry is all about connection and emotion. It helps us appreciate our fellow humans. It helps us understand other cultures and perspectives. This is exactly what is displayed in Lyrical Voices by Lakeela L. Taylor and Frankie L. Fipps.

Lyrical Voices is a collection of over one hundred poems and lyrics that spans over approximately 150 pages. The poems discuss a wide range of topics such as heartbreak, parenthood, race, love, hardship, joy, pain, religion, and spirituality. All of the poems are different. Many of them are in free verse, which means that they don't rhyme.

There are quite a few poems that I really enjoyed. In the poetry section, some of the poems that stand out to me are "Please and Mercy" which discusses the author's desperation for healing. There is also "Patches and Peaches" which is a story about two people succeeding in life and falling in love. "Inner Me" really felt relatable as the author tries to discover who they are on the inside. However, "They Rode The Old Rickety Bus" is powerful as it discusses segregation and racism. In the lyrics section, there are a few song lyrics. Some lyrics are emotional, but a few are upbeat and fun which add a lightness to the collection.

All of the poems are really raw and evoke so much emotion. Even more so, they are thought-provoking. What I enjoyed most about these poems and lyrics is that the author leaves the reader no choice but to become emotionally invested. I felt truly connected to the author and I felt like I learned so much about them just by reading their work. It is obvious that there is so much love and dedication put into this collection. If everyone were as honest and straightforward as these authors, we could be better at communicating. If we could just have a glimpse of what other people feel, we could become a much more empathetic and peaceful world. I could not find anything that I did not like about this collection of lyrics and poems.

Overall, I rate this collection of poems and lyrics 4 out of 4 stars. I give it this rating because I found the poetry moving and relatable. I also did not find any spelling or grammatical errors. I recommend this collection to those who love poetry, those who want to read something they can truly connect with, or those who enjoy music!

Lyrical Voices
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I'd really like to read They Rode The Old Rickety Bus, it sounds very powerful and moving. This sounds like an incredible book, thanks for the review!
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

rumik wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 15:37 I'd really like to read They Rode The Old Rickety Bus, it sounds very powerful and moving. This sounds like an incredible book, thanks for the review!
Thanks for reading! Yes, that was one of my favorites!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry should definitely bring out strong emotions, but it's a genre I have a hard time grasping. I doubt I'll read this, bit your review was quite informational. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:39 Poetry should definitely bring out strong emotions, but it's a genre I have a hard time grasping. I doubt I'll read this, bit your review was quite informational. Thanks.
Thank you so much for reading!
Andy_C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy-c.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Andy_C »

Nice review here, sounds like an emotionally engaging read, which is a number one priority for me. I also love free verse (which denotes an irregular rhythm as well as lack of rhyming). Thanks!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I love poetry, and it's even better when it is well-written and has a good theme throughout. I think I will check this collection out. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm quite interested in "Mercy and Please". It's an interesting name for a poem about healing and I'd like to see why the author named it as such.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

Andy_C wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 18:42 Nice review here, sounds like an emotionally engaging read, which is a number one priority for me. I also love free verse (which denotes an irregular rhythm as well as lack of rhyming). Thanks!
Thank you for reading!
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

Meg98 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 10:12 I love poetry, and it's even better when it is well-written and has a good theme throughout. I think I will check this collection out. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Thank you so much for reading!
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Poetry is a genre that I just cannot grasp all that well. I will say that your review was excellent, and I believe that Lyrical Voices will do very well for a different audience. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 14:53 I'm quite interested in "Mercy and Please". It's an interesting name for a poem about healing and I'd like to see why the author named it as such.
They are very raw and personal. Thanks for reading!
jemgirl202

Post by jemgirl202 »

byebye98 wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 00:22 Poetry is a genre that I just cannot grasp all that well. I will say that your review was excellent, and I believe that Lyrical Voices will do very well for a different audience. :)
Thanks for reading!!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

The point of poetry is to create the emotional connection. It sounds like the authors did a great job of that in this book.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”