Official Review: For The Love Of Sanity by Lindsay Musgrove

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: For The Love Of Sanity by Lindsay Musgrove

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For The Love Of Sanity" by Lindsay Musgrove.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For The Love Of Sanity by Lindsay Musgrove is a powerfully intense and soul-baring collection of poems that opens readers to the complex mind of the narrator. It mostly highlights the emotional turmoil and tumultuous mental state of the speaker whose pain and angst is, at times, most palpable.

Taking a free reins approach, Lindsay’s book does not use any page numbers or a table of contents, and the collection of prose poems are not separated by any titles. This and some recurring subjects gave the whole collection a continuous collective feel despite the sometimes drastic change in theme and mood.

The majority of the poetry tackles heavy subjects that often unapologetically venture into thorny and dark territories. From dealing with suicidal ideation, depression, feelings of abandonment, self-loathing, and loneliness, just to name a few. The book also includes much lighter and uplifting poems that cover stage fright, self-doubt, and trusting others with your vulnerabilities. Most of the poems were direct while others seemed to hold both literal and figurative meanings.

Seven out of the twenty-three poems stood out to me most (including the second poem, which saw a narrator dealing with bouts of depression, feeling misunderstood, and fear of solitude. The sixth poem saw the narrator breaking away from the madness (mental issues) but still finding herself unfortunately confined to a mental cage. In the seventh poem, the narrator finds her voice and sense of empowerment through the art of writing. The tenth poem was an absolute favorite of mine because it dissected the tribe mentality and all its drawbacks. I liked the thirteenth poem for its rebellious mood and the narrator’s resilience in breaking free from chains that were meant to break her and keep her in the same place. The sixteenth poem spoke of unrequited love, abuse, and self-empowerment. Finally, the twenty-first poem embraced diversity and spoke of the reality that our similarities are far greater than our differences.

Though the novel is listed as having a total of twenty-five poems, I only counted twenty-three. This made me wonder if my copy was missing anything. That being said, the book appeared to be professionally edited; I only encountered one minor error while reading. This collection of poems is great for those who have a genuine appreciation for poetry and for those who have ever felt alienated, as well as struggled with and anxiety and depression. All in all, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

For The Love Of Sanity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry isn't something I enjoy reading. I do, though, enjoy the topics discussed here. I do wonder about those two missing poems. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I am always a fan of poetry, and your review has intrigued me greatly. This seems like a very unique collection of works. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

It would be interesting to read about another person's struggle with anxiety and depression. I think poetry is a great way to heal and process one's thoughts.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Mental illness is an interesting topic to cover with poetry. No one ever experiences it the same way, so I have to wonder just how the author manages to intertwine it with things like stage fright. Thanks for reviewing this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a very eye-opening and thought-provoking collection of poems. Thank you for your detailed review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Jared Okolla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jared-okolla.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Jared Okolla »

I love poetry. Its literary form of communication usually excites me. The review has punched me to move on and read the collection. Thanks for the review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I love prose poetry. I think the author has to work harder to make it feel like a poem to the reader when it is not in traditional poetic form, and it creates some amazing meter and measure. This sounds like a book of poetry I would be very interested in reading.
Nidhi162019
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nidhi162019 »

I love reading poetries. I get really influenced by poetries which wake up a poet in ME. And i also start writing poetry. Really loved this book, very inspiring for small poets like me

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”