Official Review: Echoes from Nigeria by Nwodibo Ekechukwu

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: Echoes from Nigeria by Nwodibo Ekechukwu

Post by Daniel_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Echoes from Nigeria" by Nwodibo Ekechukwu.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Echoes From Nigeria, by Nwodibo Ekechukwu, is a collection of poems that cut across different themes. Nwodibo Ekechukwu, who is born and bred in Nigeria, did a fantastic job in portraying the customs, beliefs, values, morality, ethnicities, and folklores of the nation. Some poems also cover the political, economic, and security state of the country.

Echoes From Nigeria contains 74 poems, all written by Nwodibo Ekechukwu. The first poem, titled “The Forced Polygamist”, is about a married man who was being pressurized by his mother into taking a second wife because he had no children after four years of marriage. “The Farmers And Herders We Used To Know” (another poem) talks about the problem that exists between the farmers and the herders (known as ‘Herdsmen’) in Nigeria. Another poem titled “The Unfortunate Orphan” is about a boy who lost both his parents in the same year. Being a nine-year-old and the only child, he had his uncle move into the house with his family. Unfortunately for the boy, this is just the beginning of his nightmares. Poems like “Where Are The Weapons From?” and “The Fathers And The Youths” talk about the politics that exist in the country.

Echoes From Nigeria is a well-organized book. Each poem starts on a new page, and all poems are divided into stanzas. Interestingly, each stanza has the same number of lines. The compilation is also brilliant. The poems, though all stand-alone, are meticulously arranged in such a way that there is a link between two consecutive poems.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. On the other hand, there is a lot I like about it. This is the first collection-of-poems book that I will be reading in which all the poems are written by one person. I find this really amazing. And despite the number of poems, all are well written and distinct. The use of rhyming words is very conspicuous and impressive. I also like the fact that the poems are short and well separated as this made it easier to read.

Furthermore, I enjoyed most of the poems. One of my favorites is the poem titled “Nigeria’s Social Media As Loose Cannons” where the writer talked about the negative effects of social media while not undermining its importance. Also in my list of favorites is “The Bride As Trophy” wherein the writer described the custom in which suitors—all interested in a particular woman—are made to engage in a wrestling contest. And at the end, the winner gets the ‘trophy’ (the woman). I found this amusing, and I wonder if this custom is practicable in this modern world. I also enjoyed reading “The Journey By Train”, “Christmas Rice”, and “The Clay Safe” as the writer shared some of his childhood memories.

I found quite a number of errors, which are mostly punctuation-related, while reading Echoes From Nigeria. Besides this, I would have given it a perfect rating. I therefore rate Echoes From Nigeria 3 out of 4 stars. The depth of information in this book is enormous, hence, I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to know about the country, Nigeria, and its people. I also recommend it for usage in high schools, especially those in Nigeria and other African countries. And generally, all poem-lovers should find this book very interesting.

Echoes from Nigeria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hate that this has so many errors because I do love learning about other cultures like this. I don't normally read poetry, but this may just be worth it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This definitely sounds like a poetry book I would be interested it. I love learning about other cultures.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 18:17 I hate that this has so many errors because I do love learning about other cultures like this. I don't normally read poetry, but this may just be worth it. Thanks!
Yes, it is worth it. The errors though many, are minor.
Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

esp1975 wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 23:42 This definitely sounds like a poetry book I would be interested it. I love learning about other cultures.
You will SURELY enjoy this.
Thanks for the comment. :tiphat:
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I love the fact that the poems give one a glimpse into the culture of the people of Nigeria. It is clear from your review that the poems are very educative and the author has touched on sensitive issues like polygamy and how families treat orphans. Great review.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

MatereF wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 11:26 I love the fact that the poems give one a glimpse into the culture of the people of Nigeria. It is clear from your review that the poems are very educative and the author has touched on sensitive issues like polygamy and how families treat orphans. Great review.
Yes! Indeed, very educative and insightful.
Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

It's nice to see Nigerian poems featured here and covering such an impressive array of themes some patriotic. Thanks for your nice review.
Purti10
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purti10.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Purti10 »

The author has covered so many social issues through his poems.I think this would be an interesting and informative collection of poems.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

Wyland wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 06:26 It's nice to see Nigerian poems featured here and covering such an impressive array of themes some patriotic. Thanks for your nice review.
It is indeed nice. Ekechukwu really did a great job with it.
Thanks for the stopping by. :tiphat:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

Purti10 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 08:16 The author has covered so many social issues through his poems.I think this would be an interesting and informative collection of poems.
Yes! He did; in fact, much more than I could cover in my review. You should give it a try.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It is so lovely that the writer planned to describe a cultural background in a poetic way. Wonderful review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 23:52 It is so lovely that the writer planned to describe a cultural background in a poetic way. Wonderful review!
Yeah, quite usual but lovely. He achieved that beautifully well.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I really like the sound of this book. Thanks for a great review and for the recommendation!
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Your review was enticing. I do not usually choose poetry as my reading genre, but I must admit that Ekechukwu sounds both exotic and entertaining.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”