Official Review: Paddle to Paddle by Lois Chapin

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Paddle to Paddle by Lois Chapin

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paddle to Paddle" by Lois Chapin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Haunting and beautifully written, Paddle to Paddle, by Lois Chapin, is a collection of poetry that relays the story of an unnamed narrator’s life. Told through a mostly sequential series of poems, the book begins with the narrator’s childhood and the difficult homelife she endured. The poems then progress through her adolescence and adulthood. The narrator focuses on the many difficult experiences that occurred in her life and how those events shaped her future as a woman, mother, therapist, and daughter. Through the lens of the narrator, themes of child abuse, rape, parenthood, marriage, divorce, aging and family are all explored with unexpected depth given the short length of this literary work.

I thoroughly enjoy reading books that aim to break away from a standard, and Paddle to Paddle does exactly that. Marketed as a book of poetry, it would be more appropriate to label Chapin’s work as narrative poetry. Paddle to Paddle manages to tell a life story, complete with fully developed characters, settings, and events. The author’s ability to accomplish such a complete work in such a small number of words blew me away. After finishing this book, I was astonished to realize that I had read a mere fraction of the words found in an average-length novel, yet I felt a strong emotional connection to the narrator. Chapin’s writing perfectly illustrates that sometimes less is more. There is so much power in the conciseness of this book, and this power would most likely be lost if the story were told using a typical format.

Each poem is written using the narrator’s first-person perspective, allowing the writing to exude raw emotion. Further, each word appears to have been carefully selected to enhance the impact of the narrator’s story. For example, as a child, the narrator manages to intertwine her fears, hopes, and frustrations with the telling of events using only a few extra words. Similarly, the poems focused on the narrator’s struggles with control, a subtle theme found throughout the book, were realistic. From a young age, she has had no control over many aspects of her life. Her mother’s abuse, her inability to save her brother, her husband’s infidelity, her daughter’s substance abuse, and her body’s aging are just some examples of instances the narrator needed to be able to control but couldn’t. These topics are expertly woven into the story with articulate prose that highlights how badly the consistent lack of control has haunted the narrator’s life.

As the book progresses, an unfortunate disconnect begins to grow. The narrative takes on a new format at times, where the author opts for more words in-lieu of the stanza format used throughout. Additionally, a few of the later poems felt out of place, either because of subtle differences in the voice of the narrator or a lacking connection between the content and the overall story. Though the changes in voice and organization could indicate transformations of the narrator’s attitudes later in life, I found the variations hindered the flow of the story. At times, the narrative flow is regained, continuing in the same vein as the poetry found earlier in the book, but the instances of variation were too many to avoid pointing out.

Paddle to Paddle is an interesting book because it does not fit into a particular mold. Readers who enjoy free-verse poetry and readers who like literary fiction, especially as told from a female perspective, should give this book a chance. However, readers should be warned that Chapin includes mature themes dealing with abuse, rape, drug addiction, and infidelity, though none are described in graphic detail. Although it doesn’t conform to normal genre standards, Paddle to Paddle is an engaging, thought-provoking, and powerful read, which is why I rate it 4 out of 4 stars, despite some minor reservations.

Paddle to Paddle
View: on Bookshelves
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I would never have guessed this book was about so many mature themes based on the title. Poetry is a great way to quickly express your thoughts. Based on your review, the author seems to express her thoughts, pain, fears, joy, and sorrow in her poetry. It is too bad that the later poems are out of place. Changes in narrative sometimes lose the reader. I like to dabble in writing poetry, but I normally do not read books of poetry. I may have to add this book to my reading list because it sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like that it is written from the first-person perspective; that would definitely add a layer of intrigue. I can tell from reading your review that this book of poems left a remarkable impact on you--it was truly lovely to read. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry isn't my forte, but this collection sounds carefully crafted. I appreciate that each word is chosen for a reason. The author's been through so much; I'm glad this outlet was there for her. Thanks for sharing this with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very interesting and well-executed collection of poetry. Even though there is a disconnect in the flow part-way through, I am still intrigued and would like to read this. Excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the way you describe this author's writing style! I would like to read her poems just to become familiar with her way of writing. Thanks for your inspiring words about this book!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think I've only come across narrative fiction in the works of Grace Nichols and Ellen Hopkins before, but this sounds like it would fit right in. Poetry is an interesting form because so much can be done with it, so to think the author chronicles an entire life with such mature themes is something to ponder on, to say the least.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I am interested in all the themes outlined in this book. By the time I have finished this story, I will have learned a lot from this literature. Thanks for the great review.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Books like this aren't exactly new, but it sounds like Chapin is trying for something a little closer to standard literary fiction but in another medium. It seems to succeed well enough, though I'm a bit wary about the thematic content.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I am not a fan of poetry, so I won't be reading this book.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

I am interested in all the themes outlined in this book. It sounds like a very interesting and well-executed collection of poetry. Definitely going to read this. Thank you for your insightful review. 🙂
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A collection of poetry that conveys the story of the life of an unnamed narrator. Told through a series of poems, it begins with the narrator's childhood and the difficult home life she endured. It explores complex topics such as child abuse, rape, parenthood, marriage, divorce, aging. I hope to read it.
Queenyx
Currently Reading: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenyx.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Queenyx »

This book is an example of a wonderful way to tell a life sorry using a poem. Each life stage were well developed to the full to depict the true meaning which the narrator needed to pass across.
Great read I must say
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This sounds like a unique book. It contains a series of poems that work together to share the life of the narrator. It explores a lot of different topics including rape, marriage, and divorce.
DolcezzaJ
Currently Reading: Sugar Land
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by DolcezzaJ »

Am not a fan of poetry but you actually make me want to read this, such an excellent reviewer.
Things happening to many youngster today are beyond their and unfortunately shapen their life...
Parents need to work harder to make their children's life meaningly...because no matter how little the abuse(of any kind)is, it will tell on them and in their lives.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”