Official Review: Scars of Apollo by Robin Williams

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: Official Review: Scars of Apollo by Robin Williams

Post by Areej Tahir »

I love reading good poetry and I write some myself, so this book really seems my type. I love the books who connect the dots and are much closer to reality, such as scars don't really go away, you just become stronger with time. So yes, definitely going to read this book next. Thank you for it!
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Back in high school I dreaded poetry because of how complex they could be especially in an exam. But I guess I could read now, relaxed. Thank you for the nice review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

These poems seem to come from the heart throughout the majority of the book and evoke emotions from the readers. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

@Dentarthurdent - First, can I say how much I love your screen name? It makes me smile every time I see it. And actually, maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The introspective poems were wonderful. The ones that did not work as well for me were the ones that were looking out, commenting on events in the world, instead of in the poet's life.

@Bookworm177 - Poetry is definitely about connecting with people on an emotional level. I am glad this book connected with you, as well.

@kdstrack - Thank you for the lovely compliment.

@Shrabastee - I do find poetry books a little harder to review. There's no plot or characters. That does mean that I generally will include at least one sample of the poetry in the review. Thank you for the compliment.

@Areej Tahir - As I mentioned in my first poetry book review, I used to write poetry, though I haven't written anything beyond a Haiku in years. But I have missed having poetry in my life. Forche is one of my favorite poets, and reading her memoir really reminded me of that. I definitely recommend this book, and I hope it speaks to you as strongly as it did me.

@gathoni1991 - If your 1991 means the same as my 1975, then I was in high school when you were born. But yes, I have also found that I am now able to enjoy many books (and poems) that I was supposed to read in high school and college, since I am now reading them for me and not a teacher/exam.

@Prisallen - I definitely think these poems come from the heart. It is how the poet is able to connect with the reader. Thanks for the compliment.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

esp1975 wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 14:04 @Dentarthurdent - First, can I say how much I love your screen name? It makes me smile every time I see it. And actually, maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The introspective poems were wonderful. The ones that did not work as well for me were the ones that were looking out, commenting on events in the world, instead of in the poet's life.

Hey! Sorry, I meant extrospective, not introspective. Your review was clear, and really good.
Thanks for the compliment!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I love how well-written your reviews are! It makes me so happy to see this one got featured, you really deserve it. I haven't been reading much poetry lately (or reading much at all) but I might actually try this one out. Thanks!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I struggle with critiquing poetry, so I think there's much to learn from how you handled this review. I tend to see poems as a means of telling a personal story (that's why I think I'd also find political commentaries in the form of poems a bit off-putting). Thanks for this review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

@rumik - Thank you for the wonderful compliment. I hadn't really read poetry in a long time, but I used to love reading poetry, so I figured while I was here and there were poetry books, I might as well start again. I was really pleased with Scars of Apollo. For me, the emotional connection was there right away.

@inaramid - Thank you. I will say I learned from reading some of @Brendan Donaghy's poetry book critiques. It definitely is a different animal than critiquing a story.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

esp1975 wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 16:33 @rumik - Thank you for the wonderful compliment. I hadn't really read poetry in a long time, but I used to love reading poetry, so I figured while I was here and there were poetry books, I might as well start again. I was really pleased with Scars of Apollo. For me, the emotional connection was there right away.

@inaramid - Thank you. I will say I learned from reading some of @Brendan Donaghy's poetry book critiques. It definitely is a different animal than critiquing a story.
Wow, I feel ten feet tall after reading that, thank you! :)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”