Official Review: My little Masterpiece by Bienvenido Flores

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: My little Masterpiece by Bienvenido Flores

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My little Masterpiece" by Bienvenido Flores.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I absolutely love quotes. Before memes existed, everyone I knew threw quotes around whenever we could. The Princess Bride, Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, The Simpsons... Using just the right quote at just the right time was - and still is - an art. But quotes can be just as poignant, just as inspirational, and just as thought-provoking as they can be funny. Bienvenido Flores attempts to make that clear in his book of quotes, My Little Masterpiece.

My Little Masterpiece is a bilingual (English and Spanish) book of 14 quotes. Each quote is displayed on two separate pages - one in English and one in Spanish - and each uses a different font on (mostly) the same, slightly altered background image.

My Little Masterpiece lives up to two words in the title at least. Surely it's Bienvenido's book, making it his, and with less than 40 pages and only 14 unique quotes, it's certainly little. However, it's not much of a masterpiece. While I don't speak Spanish so I can't be sure of it, it seems like English is the author's second language. As such, most of the quotes are a little off with their phrasing in English. For example, "You can either wait or chase or be patient and observe how the magic touches you" doesn't make sense in its current form. Another - "Under every story of success there is a timetable attacked to it" - could potentially be poignant, but again the wording is off. The best quotes in the book are okay - "Step it up take another breath and make today your best day" and "Inspiration usually comes to those who are willing to share it" are my favorites - but even if My Little Masterpiece was full of quotes like these I'd give it 3 stars at most. That's particularly true since the book is a little self-contradictory: some quotes are all about getting out there and making today your day, and others are about being patient.

Then there's the layout. I like that the font changes for each quote and the framing is nice - there's a full-page image for each quote that has what looks like a poster on a wall - but the execution is shoddy at best. 13 out of 14 images use the same background image that's been altered a bit: it's in full color on one page, and black and white on another, then made to look like a spotty photograph later, and so on. Worse yet, the 14th quote - the one with a different image - is identical to another quote in the book minus the word "The". I would've loved additional images in the book to go with each quote. What's more, the font is also resized incorrectly at times, and it's often not centered properly. One particular quote has issues all around: there are sizing issues, it's slightly askew, and the final words are missing the same effect that the rest of the words have so they're harder to read.

I really wish I liked this book more. I love quotes, and they're often very personal to the person who collects them, but quotes are typically highly-polished phrases that say far more than the small number of words ordinarily could. With that said, it's even more important that quotes are clear, concise, and error-free than most other forms of writing, yet I found 7 errors in this tiny book. If the images were polished up and the quotes were better, I could see people printing their favorites out and hanging them on the wall! As it is, the only people I'd recommend this to are people who speak Spanish and enjoy motivational quotes. It's hard to even make that recommendation as I can't verify they sound any better in Spanish, but I desperately hope that's why the English versions sound wrong. My rating of My Little Masterpiece by Bienvenido Flores is 1 out of 4 stars.

My little Masterpiece
View: on Bookshelves
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

Well, I’ll say one thing, your review got a grin out of me. I think it was the line “Under every story of success there is a timetable attacked to it” I think I can identify with having felt attacked by a timetable at least once or twice…maybe I missed the meaning somewhere? Just kidding. Seriously though, you make great points about how the book is put together (very important). I enjoyed your mention of the movies we all quote. From Space balls “Buckle this,” was always our favorite, from Princess Bride, “ I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me,” and last but not least, “last but not least.” Thanks for the great review!
Tia adams
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tia adams »

Your review has badly put me in the mood to read this book,personally am a quote collector and I believe each quote ironically or directly is always an inspiration. And who doesn’t love a good inspiration.
Thank you. I hope I can find this book online.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

With so few quotes, the book should really be extremely well done. The images need to be spot-on and contribute to the quote. The quotes themselves should make sense. It's too bad that's not the case, and it will make me take a pass on this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

While it does say "little" in the title, I would still be disappointed with that amount of quotes! There are so many to find online that reading this book would only be worth it if it had a larger selection of unique quotes. Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, I won't be reading this book.
Scrubs
Currently Reading: You Can Win
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrubs.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Scrubs »

For a book with just 14 quotes, I am impressed with how elaborate your criticism is. While not being offensive, you not only pointed out the negatives but suggested how to fix them. Great observation on the contradiction of quotes on seizing the day and being patient!! A very well presented review indeed.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

Despite your review, I would still love to read this 'Quotes' book. It sounds fun and interesting. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”