Official Review: Who Hears While Not Listening?

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: Who Hears While Not Listening?

Post by Daniel_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Hears While Not Listening?" by Alim M. Bey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Where did I go wrong?” This is probably a question from a parent who is now concerned about his or her child. But often, it is discovered that this same parent must have ignored—partially or totally—his or her child, during the child’s growing-up stages. A time when children always have a lot of questions to ask; a time they seek attention, quality time, love, and care. But, do they get their desires? Or do they just get hugs and kisses? Or, perhaps, are they yelled at, and told to shut up? Or are they ignored, and treated as though they are a distraction?

Who Hears While Not Listening? is a book by Alim M. Bey that addresses this issue. Though in the Drama and Poetry genre category, to me, it is more of a non-fiction book. In it, Alim Bey stressed the importance of not only hearing but also listening and paying attention to our children or children around us—nieces, nephews, grand children, neighbours’ children, students, and so on—especially during their growing-up stages. He shared some of the scenes he had observed while he worked as a conductor for the New York City Transit Authority, and some incidences wherein he was involved.

I benefitted a lot from this book, and I believe any reader should as well. The things Alim said and the stories he shared were eye-opening. For instance, the story of Mildred Wendover, a girl who grew up amidst boys. Being a female, Mildred later started experiencing many changes in her body, and while comparing herself with her brothers, shame and insecurity started setting in. All because some people failed to listen—Rebecca Wendover, her mother, and the other women in her family.

I admire the passion with which Alim wrote this book; he practically poured out his heart, perhaps, due to his experiences. Imagine a child growing up in a home where pets are treated a whole lot better than a human child. He went through that, and much more. Unfortunately, Alim—growing up under such upbringing—grew up to also treat his first child with cruelty.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. Although the frequent interruptions with “Who’s hearing while not listening?” was distracting at first, I later got used to it. However, as touching that, I feel “Who hears while not listening?”—the title—should have been used in its stead, that is, I’m assuming it is not an error.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars as I found quite a number of errors in it; errors which did not, in any way, affect the readability, though. Who Hears While Not Listening? is a must-read for not only parents but for all adults, as it is inevitable that we all, at one time or the other, will have a child coming to us with questions or concerns, and perhaps, you may be the person the child needs at that time. Will you listen?

Who Hears While Not Listening?
View: on Bookshelves
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

I like the wey you did this review...very detailed.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I understand the feeling of a child who is not heard. I applaud the author for writing such a book. Your review is very insightful. Thanks!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It is always a good thing when we after reading book benefit for that experience. I enjoyed your review. It sounds like a great read.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This would be a good book for parents, grandparents, and teachers to read as it confirms the need to really pay attention to what children are telling us. Thank you for a wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely seems that this is something we are all guilty of and not just with children. How much times do we listen but not really hear? I think it's especially important with children, and I'm interested to see what the author has to say. Thanks for introducing this one to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Sounds like this book could be somewhat useful for educational purposes. The idea of not listening to children is so sad! Hopefully, some readers may benefit from reading this and may help break that cycle that the author found themselves in.
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

FREDFDK wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 06:13 I like the wey you did this review...very detailed.
Thanks for taking the time to read it :tiphat:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

Magnify3 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 06:32 I understand the feeling of a child who is not heard. I applaud the author for writing such a book. Your review is very insightful. Thanks!
The author did a good job with this book. Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 07:14 It is always a good thing when we after reading book benefit for that experience. I enjoyed your review. It sounds like a great read.
It was indeed a great-read. I'm sure you will benefit from it too.
Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

Prisallen wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 07:50 This would be a good book for parents, grandparents, and teachers to read as it confirms the need to really pay attention to what children are telling us. Thank you for a wonderful review!
I strongly agree with you.
Thanks for the comment. :tiphat:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 08:37 It definitely seems that this is something we are all guilty of and not just with children. How much times do we listen but not really hear? I think it's especially important with children, and I'm interested to see what the author has to say. Thanks for introducing this one to us.
Yeah, you're right. We are all guilty. I wish everyone will have the opportunity to read it.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

danielleamy wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 18:04 Sounds like this book could be somewhat useful for educational purposes. The idea of not listening to children is so sad! Hopefully, some readers may benefit from reading this and may help break that cycle that the author found themselves in.
That's true, it a cycle... we all have the tendency to give to others in the same manner we received.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

Sounds like the books offers some parenting tips. I think it is very educative. Great review.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:

Post by Daniel_ »

Wambui-nj wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 12:41 Sounds like the books offers some parenting tips. I think it is very educative. Great review.
Yes, you're right.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”