Official Review: When God Works Incognito by Fred Beck

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: When God Works Incognito by Fred Beck

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When God Works Incognito" by Fred Beck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born in a poor family during the Great Depression in 1938, just before WWII, Fred Beck was the eldest among five siblings. He began working at the age of thirteen, and after five years, he met Linda, the daughter of a pastor. They were married in 1959. Prior to this event, he had felt called to serve God and was preaching occasionally. He was also enrolled for ministerial studies. He took up part-time jobs, and the couple had their first child in 1960. Fred became pastor of the Energy Baptist Church in Texas. Their second baby was born in 1961. A year later, he completed his Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Scripture and further enrolled in Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary. Linda gave birth to their third child in 1962. The pastor had to work full-time in a prison to make a living. Linda also joined the seminary.

In 1968, Fred was giving a sermon on the theme “Missions: God’s Heartbeat” when a strange thing happened, and “the pastor was converted during his own sermon!” I was really moved when I read how he said “yes” to be an international missionary. It was amazing to know that his wife had also felt called to the missions when she was a young girl. The couple got their appointment in Indonesia and served as Baptist missionaries for thirty-three years in several countries in S. Asia. Now that they are retired and back to their homeland, Fred has decided to publish this memoir of his life’s journey, to share the experience of God’s goodness and unmerited grace that has made him “a new creation” in Christ. When God Works Incognito: Autobiographical Vignettes is an inspiring story of this Christian Baptist couple.

God calls people in marvelous ways. I am impressed with this real-life story of a Christian family. I think Fred’s struggles during childhood and the experience of being “born again spiritually” empowered and sustained him during his missionary journeys. He really gave himself totally to God, and his personal relationship with the Lord helped him to go through a “metamorphosis” to be more like Jesus Christ in his encounter with people. I enjoyed reading the details of their life in Indonesia that was full of challenges and opportunities.

What I most liked in this book is their family spirit. I also liked the author’s description of Satan, not only as the “accuser” but also as the great “excuser.” He enables people to excuse themselves for their sins and resist conversion while those who were sinned against continue to have a difficult time. There’s nothing that I disliked about the memoir. The couple had trust in Jesus and continued to walk in faith during the dark moments. I think they are exemplars!

It is not possible to give details of their missionary life in this review, and I would like readers to be inspired by the author’s own words. After reflecting on the big picture as well as the details, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I felt sad I could not rate it 4 stars because of grammatical errors. Professional editing will enhance the quality of the text. I am happy to recommend it to people of all age groups. Christians will find it inspiring. Pastors, social workers, teachers, doctors, and missionaries will enjoy it. The theological contents are suitable for Christians of all churches and denominations.

When God Works Incognito
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ikigai »

I'm not sure if I'm ready to face such a religious storyline. It does seems inspiring, but I'm afraid is too profound for my understanding. However, thank you for your great review!
Ruth Angel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ruth Angel »

Being born again, its like a broad way to opportunities. We are often faced with challenges and opportunities. But it takes the spirit of God to decide. Thanks for this review
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I really like the author's point of the devil being the great "excuser" for that is what he indeed is. I would love to read this book too. Well done and thank you for the review!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

This seems like a beautiful book. I would like to know more about their experiences in ministry.
Great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have head that when a pastor preaches, the first heart to hear the message is his own. But this is the first time I have heard of a pastor converting himself! This sounds like an interesting memoir. Thanks for the recommendation.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

This sounds like a beautiful story. I love tales about missionaries and how they can make steadfast changes in communities. I admire missionaries who do not become "white saviors" but truly spread the love and kindness of God. Thanks for this review!
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

As much as I love Autobiographies, a religious one may not interest me. Thanks for the great review though.
Cmaria66
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cmaria66 »

Being a born again believer, I enjoy reading books of faith and ministry. I would have liked to know more details about their trials and tests of their faith. Being a Christian is not always easy and although it is fulfilling, it also comes with pain, sacrifice, and true faith.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”