Official Review: Bar Fight by Angela Khristin Brown

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: Bar Fight by Angela Khristin Brown

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bar Fight" by Angela Khristin Brown.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bar Fight by Angela Khristin Brown is a collection of seventeen poems that explore various themes such as friendship, love, separation, and loss. These are universal themes that readers from different cultures can easily understand and enjoy reading. The poems are mostly free verse with neither rhyme nor rhythm. Two of the poems were written in prose form without stanzas and with minimal punctuation. The author’s biography is inspiring. Angela Khristin Brown graduated from college, and obtained postgraduate degrees in creative writing, despite being born with a learning disability.

In the poem "Broken heart," the author discussed domestic violence. Many people are trapped in relationships in which they are subjected to physical and verbal abuse. It takes much determination for victims of domestic violence to speak out. The last two lines of the poem: "I won't stand being hurt by the one I love" speak of the victim's resolve to stand up against abuse. I also liked the poem “I” on page 9 of the book in which the author expressed self-doubt about her writing ability. This is seen in the last line of the poem: “Afraid I can’t find the right words to say.” In the third stanza of the same poem, she had expressed the hope that people will read her works and realize she has excellent writing ability. I think many authors can relate to this because it is common for them to oscillate from confidence in their ability to wondering if anyone would want to read what they have written.

The two poems that were written in prose form without stanzas were difficult to understand. I think breaking them down into stanzas or paragraphs would have made it easier for readers to understand the write-up. I also think some minimal punctuation would have improved the clarity of the work. I struggled a lot to read and understand these poems.

The poem “Heaven” discussed suicidal thoughts. The author does not change her mind about being better off dead throughout the poem. I would have liked a happier ending in which the poet decides that life is truly worth living. Despite this observation, I like the fact that these thoughts are being expressed because mental health challenges and depression are real and need to be discussed.

Despite the brevity of the book, I found many grammatical errors in the book, so I think this book was not professionally edited. I recommend this book, in a revised version in which the grammatical errors have been resolved, to family and school libraries. Readers of the poetry genre will enjoy reading this book. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because of the errors I found in it.

Bar Fight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!
busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by busisiwe5754 »

This looks like a great book to read especially with seventeen poems and different headings. I look forward to exploring the poems and understand the tone and expression of the Author.
Thank you for the review.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I'm not an avid reader of the poet gene, but I do like what I see in here. Thank you for your account!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the poems on broken relationships the most because of its valuable lessons. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely sounds like there are some deep themes throughout the work. Poetry is an emotional catharsis and isn't always the happy type we would like. I don't much enjoy this genre, so I probably won't read it. Hopefully the author can make some revisions to make this even better.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

busisiwe5754 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:08 This looks like a great book to read especially with seventeen poems and different headings. I look forward to exploring the poems and understand the tone and expression of the Author.
I think you will enjoy the experience. Thanks for commenting on the review! :tiphat:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 10:34 It definitely sounds like there are some deep themes throughout the work. Poetry is an emotional catharsis and isn't always the happy type we would like. I don't much enjoy this genre, so I probably won't read it. Hopefully the author can make some revisions to make this even better.
Thanks for your comment and kind words! :tiphat:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Wyland wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 07:40 I like the poems on broken relationships the most because of its valuable lessons. Thanks for the review.
Thanks a lot for reading the review and commenting. Deeply appreciated! :tiphat:
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I enjoy free verse poems. Great review.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Renee_Prior1995 wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 18:16 I enjoy free verse poems. Great review.
Then you will enjoy reading these. Thanks for reading and commenting on my review! :tiphat:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Poetry can often be difficult to understand, and it sounds like the prose poem falls into that category. I'd like to read it, though, and see what the author is trying to convey with her work. Might have to be careful with the one about suicide.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

busisiwe5754 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:08 This looks like a great book to read especially with seventeen poems and different headings. I look forward to exploring the poems and understand the tone and expression of the Author.
Thanks for reading and commenting. I think you will enjoy reading it! Cheers! :tiphat:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 05:47 I'm not an avid reader of the poet gene, but I do like what I see in here. Thank you for your account!
Thanks for reading and commenting. deeply appreciated!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”