Official Review: Stream Of My Reality by Wendiann Alfieri

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Stream Of My Reality by Wendiann Alfieri

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stream Of My Reality" by Wendiann Alfieri.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever struggled with depression? Perhaps someone close to you has, and you’ve wondered exactly how they felt. In hopes of encouraging others, Wendiann Alfieri wrote Stream of My Reality, a collection of thoughts and poems penned during a year she spent in the hospital. Dark and haunting, the short collection reflects on issues such as sadness, fear, trust, abandonment, despair, peer pressure, loneliness, eating disorders, and feeling misunderstood.

I applaud the author’s courage for sharing such an honest depiction of a dark time in her life. Her writing provides an unfiltered glimpse into different issues related to depression. “Communication” expresses the frustration of feeling misunderstood when others can’t relate to depression. In “The Skinny Game,” the author poignantly reflects on peer pressure and eating disorders in a manner that is disturbingly realistic. She cautions that the sensitive content is “gritty” and may trigger some readers, and I agree.

I most liked “Determination;” the author began each line with the clever play on words, “Detour my nation” and concluded with thoughts such as, “...from abandoning me” and “...so I can be me.”

On the other hand, I disliked the poems that were written as paragraphs rather than in stanza form. Despite the stylistic choices often associated with poetry, in this format, the lack of punctuation read like a long run-on sentence. Additionally, there were 10 grammatical errors in the first few pages, and the errors continued throughout the book. Unfortunately, incorrectly spelled words, inconsistent punctuation, and poor formatting were the book's downfall.

Regarding the formatting, the poem titles were typed in the same font size as the rest of the text, and at times, it was difficult to tell when a new poem began. Some were written in title case, while others had only the first word capitalized. The chapter titles were also inconsistently formatted and lacked proper spacing. For example, the first was titled, "1:Chapter 1," but subsequent chapters were titled, "3:Determination." The inclusion of a table of contents would have added some clarification, but there wasn't one.

Due to the lack of editing and unorganized formatting, the manuscript seems more like a journal or rough draft than a published work. As much as I admire the author's willingness to transparently share her story, I am unable to recommend it. For all of the above reasons, I rate the book 1 out of 4 stars.

Stream Of My Reality
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I wish this were better written. Knowing people who suffer from depression, I'd love to read a book like this. I may still give it a try to see what I can learn from it. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's so hard to have to rate someone's hard work, especially about a topic as serious as this one, 1 out of 4 stars. It sounds like it's got some great poetry in there, and it sounds like something that many could relate with. It's too bad that it isn't as polished as it should be, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Letora wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 07:18 I wish this were better written. Knowing people who suffer from depression, I'd love to read a book like this. I may still give it a try to see what I can learn from it. Thank you for reviewing!
I agree. Thanks for your comment, Letora.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 09:31 It's so hard to have to rate someone's hard work, especially about a topic as serious as this one, 1 out of 4 stars. It sounds like it's got some great poetry in there, and it sounds like something that many could relate with. It's too bad that it isn't as polished as it should be, though. Thanks for the review.
I agree--especially given the topic. My hope is that it can be edited and will reach the appropriate audience.
Kaylawallace523
Currently Reading: The Memory of Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylawallace523.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Kaylawallace523 »

It's a shame that the book wasn't better edited. I like poetry and I suffer from depression myself. The inability to make anyone who has not experienced it understand what it is like is painfully isolating.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in the world still interested in poetry. Especially, since I write it as well.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”