Official Review: Tributaries: A Book of Poetry

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Tributaries: A Book of Poetry

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tributaries: A Book of Poetry" by Pamala Ballingham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are times when poetry can be overly nebulous, burdened with metaphor and difficult to internalize. Tributaries: A Book of Poetry by Pamala Ballingham successfully avoids these problems, and instead delivers a collection of clear and penetrating poems, written in a beautiful, simple, and approachable style.

The poems are of mixed lengths and formats, mostly without rhyme, and include several short passages of prose. They are laden with vivid imagery and emotion, drawing much of their inspiration from nature. Rich with powerful and poignant metaphor, their topics include geographical features, oceans, forests, gardens, the changing seasons, mortality, aging, death, as well as birth, life, and love. Many of the poems include small and subtle inlaid artwork, which is generally abstract yet always in tune with the theme of the poem.

This was perhaps one of the best collections of poems I have ever read. It was pristinely edited – no errors came to my attention through the entirety of the work. The author experiments with a variety of styles and formats, yet each poem retains her minimalistic and serene voice. Many of the poems bloom open like flowers, revealing deeper meanings as the reader works his or her way down the page, and invoking feelings of peace, acceptance, and gentle wisdom.

Many of the poems also reference traditional native ceremonies and practices, which the author explains hold a special interest for her, and as such, this collection may appeal to readers who also take an interest in these cultural experiences. Since many of the poems are fairly short, and all are written in straightforward (though often, still incredibly moving) language, this would be a good book for someone who is just starting to explore the world of poetry. The collection is uplifting in a gentle and contemplative way, and leaves the reader refreshed, as if having just emerged from a meditation.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Despite being rather nitpicky with poetry, I found nothing negative to say about this book. Many of the poems gave me pause, as I admired the author’s ability to succinctly, yet so accurately, capture a particular experience or emotion. Several times, I reread certain portions of the poems, simply because I enjoyed the combination of words that was chosen, or because I had been unexpectedly moved by a description of something that had previously seemed mundane. I would not hesitate to recommend this work to long-time readers of poetry, nor to beginners, and I feel personally enriched by the experience of having read it myself.

Tributaries: A Book of Poetry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love poetry that is simple and without excessive flowery language! I would definitely be interested in reading this book.

Great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

What a beautiful review! I always appreciate a good poetry with some delicate and meaningful metaphors, so I would love to read this book!
Also I loved the cover :)
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

The cover caught my eye because of its beauty. It sounds like the picture matches the words written. I usually shy away from poetry because it can be difficult to understand, but this book of poetry sounds like a wonderful one to begin with. I enjoyed reading your positive review. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I don't like poetry much because of its complexity. This poetry book sounds different, I'll give it a shot. Great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love your description of these poems. They sound calming and inspiring. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry isn't my forte, especially if it doesn't rhyme. I do like that the author plays with different styles and formats, though. If I get the desire to read some poetry, I'll try this. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Poetry has a way of entering our heart, unlike prose. but I hate it when a poet, includes uncharacteristic words, unsuitable for the context, just for a rhyme or to add complexity. I think this poem is different. I would give it a try. Thank you for your wonderful, well-thought review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Wow! This sounds like a great collection. Nice review as well! Your review, though in prose, has a poetic feel to it. I will have to sample this one.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 22:18 Several times, I reread certain portions of the poems, simply because I enjoyed the combination of words that was chosen, or because I had been unexpectedly moved by a description of something that had previously seemed mundane.
This. This is what makes me want to try this collection out. These are feelings I identify with. Plus the cover art is really beautiful. It appears there is no shortage of reasons to love this book.
Thanks for the review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
kelly60
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 1413
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by kelly60 »

The cover of this book really caught my eye, and judging by your review this is one that I will likely enjoy reading.
Kherron3465
Currently Reading: For the Love of God
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kherron3465.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Kherron3465 »

Due to your astounding review, although not a fan of the poetic genre, I find myself drawn to Tributaries: A Book of Poetry. I love how descriptive your review is regarding the style of this work and the imagery discussed. I will definitely pick this book up and begin my journey through poetry.
Omodia301
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omodia301 »

I don't like poetry much because of its complexity. This poetry book sounds different, I'll give it a shot. Great review.
Deepak Srivastava
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Deepak Srivastava »

Poetry has a way of entering our heart, unlike prose. but I hate it when a poet, includes uncharacteristic words, unsuitable for the context, just for a rhyme or to add complexity. I think this poem is different. I would give it a try. Thank you for your wonderful, well-thought review..
Nana-Cakes
Currently Reading: Pressing Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nana-cakes.html
Latest Review: The Grand by Dennis D. Wilson

Post by Nana-Cakes »

Sometimes I think the message in poetry can get drowned out in the desire to make the message hidden. In this book of poetry the author simply and beautifully put together a piece of art that not only gave me pause, but gave me something I could relate to as well. Being very invested in my culture and who I am, I felt it uplifting that this poetry reflected the culture and special attributes of the author.

Writing a book of poetry is not always easy as it is a very personal subject to pursue, and it is obvious that this book was very carefully put togehter. It was a true honor to read, and has offered some great insight during my journal reflections.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”