Rupi Kaur: Poetic Genius or Overly Celebrated?

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Rupi Kaur: Poetic Genius or Overly Celebrated?

Post by freakkshowx »

Recently, Rupi Kaur has become wildly popular for her books Milk and Honey and The Sun and Her Flowers. Both books are narrative in nature despite being a collection of poems. She has been hailed as someone who speaks profoundly on life, human nature, and her journey to healing and self-acceptance. Some people criticize her work as lacking true prose, claiming that the line breaks alone are what make her work seem like poetry. How do you feel about Rupi Kaur's work, and why do you think so many people celebrate her even if you don't believe the poetry deserves it?
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

I'm no critic but Rupi Kaur's work isn't my type. Technically it does feel like it's only the line breaks that make it appear like poetry but then she knows how to play with words sometimes. I have read both the books and I feel most of those pieces could have just been Instagram captions written by just about anyone.
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
Scarlet Lotus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Scarlet Lotus »

Maybe I sound pretentious, but Kaur's work is too simplistic for my taste. I like poems that can paint a picture in my head and use interesting metaphors. There are a few lines that I like from her. But overall, I find her poetry "meh" at best.

However, if poetry was solely defined by the emotions it evokes in readers, then she's done a fine job. It's nice that she's gotten many people interested in poetry.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

Scarlet Lotus wrote: 25 May 2019, 17:03 Maybe I sound pretentious, but Kaur's work is too simplistic for my taste. I like poems that can paint a picture in my head and use interesting metaphors. There are a few lines that I like from her. But overall, I find her poetry "meh" at best.

However, if poetry was solely defined by the emotions it evokes in readers, then she's done a fine job. It's nice that she's gotten many people interested in poetry.
I don't think you sound pretentious at all. I think it's a well-supported assertion. When you remove the line breaks, a lot of her poems look and feel like regular sentences. When I first read one of her books, I enjoyed it because the overall message resonated with me, but looking at it a second time made me wonder about how much more powerful the narrative could be if more effort was put in to hone the emotion of each poem.
Kaylawallace523
Currently Reading: The Memory of Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylawallace523.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Kaylawallace523 »

She's okay. She does know how to make things sound pretty, and I don't mind the style and line breaks. It's similar to my own poetry in that sense. There is something about her work that seems insencere, but I can't quite work it out. Maybe it's that she wrote poetry she knew would resonate with others, but weren't her experiences first hand. I don't know, I'm just guessing. Here is one of mine. Let me know if you think it is similiar. And hey, I'm just glad she has people talking about poetry.

We are the reincarnation
Of dead stars.

With eyes and minds,
That we may witness
The awe of creation.
That we may study
The intricacies of the cosmos.

We are the mirror,
The universe uses
To admire
Itself
aasthaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aasthaj »

Yes, Rupi Kaur's poems are simple and are considered as line breaks by too many people but what stands out most in my opinion in her books are the pictures that describe her poem and when she acts her poem out, she really feels those words which make us believe in each and every word she writes without us going through the phase.
Daisy11
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Daisy11 »

I agree with the most that her poems are simple. Her book is heavily based on feminism, emotions, personal experience as well as fiction. I absolutely love poetry books, this one is great but there is just something missing in it. it particularly didn't connect to my heart and soul. Though her use of illustrations made a great impact on her poetry. Many people love her poetry immensely and that's great!
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I have read both the books, and enjoyed neither. Most of her 'poems' are one-liners, that do not make much sense. There are a few poems that sound profound, but that is about it. The overall quality of her poems is very superficial. I might not read any of her new works anymore.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I have read The Sun and Her Flowers and I thought it was amazing. I am far from a poetry expert so if she breaks rules I wouldn't know about them. The emotions were powerful for me. I think she understands how to be raw and that speaks to me. Poetry is about connection I think so you'll connect or you won't and I think that's all that really matters. If something isn't for you I don't think it's anyone's fault. Sometimes it's the language or sometimes we don't have that experience to relate to. I never thought I really liked poetry before I read hers.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I think Rupi Kaur is a good poet. Her words are simple but there is beauty and profoundness in their simplicity.

Her works may not be typical poetry but our times are changing and even poetry styles are evolving. There is a so-called free-form poetry nowadays that veers away from the measured lines and is more like a narrative with line breaks.
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

She writes simple poetry. So everyone can relate with the emotions her book shares. I guess that's more important.
Sinethemba Lubelwana

Post by Sinethemba Lubelwana »

I have read her work so far and as a avid reader, I gained a new perspective of my past and trauma that caused me pain because of her poems which means that she has done her job as a poet: To touch the hearts of others through the power of words. She has allowed to look past the horror and see the pain in her eyes which eased my mind. Thank you Rupi Kapusr You have done it again
MichaelaPaige

Post by MichaelaPaige »

Kaur's work is beautifully written modern, free-verse poetry. There are no rules to writing in free verse. Her poems are powerful because they are raw and so many women can relate to them. I was left speechless after each poem and, admittedly, I cried at the end. She takes her readers through her healing process and her readers can start healing from their trauma as well. I love free-verse and write my own poetry in that style. It's prevalent in modern poetry.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I think they have received the right amount of attention. Perhaps their poetry is more reflective of the present time.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I have read Rupi Kaur's work and i liked it. It was simple and plain but the self art makes really appealing. In one of her interviews she told how she did everything from writing to editing the book by herself. Her story made me love her works.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”