Official Review: Autumn Woods

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Autumn Woods

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Autumn Woods" by Jane Summers (Durga Madiraju).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Autumn Woods by Jane Summers (Durga Madiraju) is a heartfelt poetry collection that captures the charm of autumn and other seasons in life. Using beautiful imagery as her backdrop, Summers describes circumstances that evoke different emotions as each season passes. In the poem, “Autumn Wishes” the poet describes days that are never empty since they are filled with opportunities to be kind to others. In another wonderful poem, “An Autumn Forest” she describes the enchantment of nature and how it changes during the season of autumn. The collection contains underlying themes of kindness and love for nature in the midst of changing emotions and seasons.

I enjoyed reading the poems since the beauty displayed by each of them is almost tangible. Summers describes each scene and engages the five senses. Through the images contained in the book, she allowed me a glimpse into her life. The images also compliment the collection and act as wonderful breaks in between different poems. Through her descriptions, different emotions are captured. Not all the poems contain happy memories and scenes, some contain strands of sorrow which makes the collection even more emotionally engaging.

The poems are deeply nostalgic which I liked and the word choice selected by the author ensures that the collection effectively communicates the intentions of the poet. The words used are few but powerful. This makes the poems emotionally impactful without the use of too many details. In the poem, “Autumn Rose” the poet describes the delightful combination of hues and colors that appear during autumn using the lines: “Autumn Rose, Petals richer and darker, an autumn purple, A deep pink, A gold, colorful, an autumnal celebration!” The descriptions are told along themes of friendship and family. Even though the words are few, the themes they describe and the imaginations they evoke make the poems captivating.

Many lines in the poems are concluded by exclamation marks which I thought was not essential since the phrases are powerful enough by themselves. I would have also appreciated the inclusion of a wider array of themes over and above the ones that appear in the book.

Autumn Woods by Jane Summers (Durga Madiraju) is professionally edited and I only identified one insignificant error. When read aloud, the words come alive and they bring out the beauty contained in various seasons. The collection is also uplifting and inspiring and will be a wonderful read for any fan of poetry that describes seasons. Readers who prefer less nostalgic poetry may not enjoy reading the book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Autumn Woods
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. This sounds like an intriguing collection of poems, despite the lack of more themes as you mentioned. Thanks for sharing.
diatech83
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by diatech83 »

I love your review. It is very descriptive and it definitely makes me want to read this collection of poems.
abdoumed64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdoumed64.html
Latest Review: The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Post by abdoumed64 »

A very evocative review that really makes one want to grab Summers collection and start reading it right away. I loved the fact that you think that the verses do not need any exclamation marks, since they are already powerful enough.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Thanks for the review. I appreciated you including lines from the book, since enjoying poetry can be so dependent on each person's preferences.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like the book describing the seasons and different emotions during those times of the year as well as being uplifting. It sounds like it is very well written. Good review!
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

I don't think I have ever read a book of poetry before. This one sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the review!
"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else."
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at The End of the Lane
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've said this before: I really should try poetry again. It's just not something I gravitate towards. I don't enjoy looking for that deeper meaning, pouring over the words. Still, this sounds fairly straight forward and beautiful. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Use2alone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-use2alone.html
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Post by Use2alone »

Autumn is my favorite season that I hope I could see in my lifetime. By reading this book, I will yearn more for autumn. Nice review!
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”