Official Review: Potpourri, Don't Call it Poetry

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Potpourri, Don't Call it Poetry

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Potpourri, Don't Call it Poetry" by Rosalyn Rita Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Published by Sunstone Press in 2019, Potpourri, Don’t Call it Poetry by Rosalyn Rita Nicholas is a wonderful collection of poems that does justice to its title. It is a lyrical medley of around 70 poems grouped on 15 major themes ranging from faith and liberty to time, loneliness, or cynicism.

Addressing those who usually shy away from poetry, the author candidly confesses that “poetry is as popular as a rattlesnake.” Her poetry is not meant to be in vogue or praised by literary experts. She writes for herself and hopes to touch people’s hearts through the honesty and authenticity of her poems. I could feel the sincerity in her lines that were written in free verse and varied in terms of length and structure. With a deliberate disregard for punctuation, the poet prefers to give the reader enough freedom to find the right cadence of every poem.

Each section of the book includes at least one poem and as many as eleven poems. The introductory section, On Faith, is mainly dominated by feelings of gratitude to God (“Biloxi Beach”) and peace of mind given by the power of faith (“Relativity of Light”). However, the lyrical voice also turns to a sort of pantheism when searching for God in nature (“Between Sea Level and Santa Fe”). My favorite two poems in this section are “God, Give Me the Strength Not to Hate” and “Tribute”. If the former turns into an honest appeal for God to help her be strong and humble, the latter revolves around her uncertainty of ever living up to God’s expectations.

The two following sections, On Liberty and On Youth, have only one poem each, but they are both illustrative of their themes. “Voices of Liberty” praises America for being a land of immigrants and interculturalism, whereas “Que Sera” focuses on youthful dreams of a transformative future. Apart from promoting gender equality, the poems in the section On Women (“Who I Am”, “Self Portrait”, “Pathfinder”, and “I Had No Shoes”) reflect a woman’s struggle to find her own voice and identity in a mostly patriarchal society. Lines like those in “Pathfinder” are representative in this respect: “Awaken to realize you now must fight for identity/ And a rightful place in society where you belong/ As a contributor, a nurturer, a pathfinder/ A woman whose greatest discovery is learning/ How wonderful she can be just having faith in herself.” Even the poems dedicated to men are, in fact, projections of a woman’s love (“Not Just Me”, “Ever Blended”), longing (“Patience”, “Rhythm of the Blues”), or disappointment (“I Know People”, “Soon”).

From my perspective, the best poems in the book are those in the sections On Love and On Parents. The poet skillfully uses a series of various devices meant to express the different facets of love. In the poem “Is This Love?”, rhetorical questions make us wonder about the very essence of love. “If Only” is based on repetitions that create a whirlwind of emotions springing from regret and nostalgia: “I wish that I had known/ She loved me/ No, I only wish now she had known/ I loved her.” “If You Loved Me” relies on an antithesis between the paradisiacal image of shared love and the harsh reality of unrequited affection. The poems that speak of spiritual love and of a union transcending the limits of time and space (“The Welcoming”, “Worship”, and “Offering Salvation”) are genuinely beautiful.

Without a doubt, the poem that truly touched my heart was “Flood of Feelings”, an honest and moving confession about her relationship with her parents. Always trying to get their attention and approval, she had to find her refuge elsewhere: “Robbed of my youth/ I lived in books and poetry/ I did not select solitude/ It was all I had.” With the wisdom given by maturity, the poet understands that her parents actually loved her in their own way. Her past experiences make her generously share her personal credo: “In the end, all that ever matters is whether there is love.”

In the last sections (On Life, On Time, On Loneliness, and On Cynicism), the lyrical voice acquires a much more meditative tone, reflecting on the relativism of truth and history (“The Body of History”) or the ephemerality of our lives (“Starry Heavens”). Visual and auditory images revive both the beauty and sadness of an effervescent world (“Sounds” or “Honey Bee”). Last but not least, I was impressed by the intertextual dimension of some poems. For example, “Perseverance’s Soliloquy” is inspired by John Donne’s “No Man Is an Island”. Similarly, the parallel between Man and God in the poem “He Is” poses the same philosophical questions as those in Alexander Pope’s “An Essay on Man.”

Exquisitely edited, this collection of poetry definitely deserves 4 out of 4 stars. On the one hand, people who love poetry will find it enchanting for the variety of themes it approaches, the metaphors it employs, or the unexpected changes of rhythm. On the other hand, those who would normally shy away from poetry will be lured by the genuine authenticity of the lyrical confession.

Potpourri, Don't Call it Poetry
View: on Bookshelves
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Debottam_55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debottam-55.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Debottam_55 »

Poetry is all about writing for oneself. A poet is not someone who writes for acclaim or literary novelty. A poet writes to soothe his/her own soul and this book perfectly reflects this idea. I like the fact that the poems are divided into themes. Also, the fact that the poet deliberately abandons punctuation is the essence of modern poetry and this leaves the reader with something to think about. also really nice review.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" - Charles Bukowski
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Well the title was enough to catch my attention. Wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it kind of sounds like the author is talking to me because I really am not a poetry person. For that reason, if I could bring myself to pick this one up, I just might enjoy it. That's a stretch for me, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

Always gonna love a book about smashing the patriarchy.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author's perspective of writing to touch people's hearts is fascinating. I enjoyed the quote from "Flood of Feelings." She has fulfilled her goal of touching hearts. Great review!
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I am always happy to find a book of poetry that is unique in a certain sense and which will ultimately please me. I think I could enjoy this one.
Thank you for an amazing review!
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I tend to think that poems are writing from one's soul. And, I can tell this book is deep....will check it out. Thanks for the review.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Seems pretty good. I will give it a try. Thanks for your review, cristinaro.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I must admit, I love free verse. It was my personal choice when, long ago, I tried my hand at poetry. I know from that time that poetry does indeed come from the author's soul. I believe that I would enjoy the section "On Women" a great deal. I will definitely have to give this one a look. Thanks for the engaging review, I enjoyed reading it!
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I am not so much into poetry books but you did a great review and I think anyone who cares to read poetry should grab this book.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”