Official Review: Berezovo by A.J. Allen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Berezovo by A.J. Allen

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Berezovo" by A.J. Allen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A.J. Allen’s captivating work of historical fiction, Berezovo, follows Russian revolutionary, Lev Davidovich Bronstein/ Leon Trotsky’s journey to exile.

During the journey, Trotsky recounts his previous experiences in exile and his work as part of the leadership of the insurrectionist St Petersburg Soviet of Workers’ Delegates. This time Trotsky and the other Politicals are headed to Obdorskoye through Berezovo where they will be permanently exiled. The approaching party of political exiles causes a buzz in Berezovo. Even with the approaching team, life continues in the small town. The inhabitants are caught up in their own social, political and economic disputes that reveal an entertaining and realistic set of characters.

A.J. Allen’s set of three books contains many intriguing aspects that were not only fascinating but also informative. The historical part of the books reveals what life was like at the start of the 20th Century for revolutionists in Russia. During the accounts, the author reveals the revolutionaries’ work not only in St Petersburg but also in Paris and London. The attitude of the residents of Berezovo also highlights the political views of the people at the time.

The characters in the book are created adeptly which makes the account even more compelling. They are believable and relatable. Many of them have their flaws but also possess admirable traits. While some are gullible, others are cunning and manipulative. The upper class contains many snobbish individuals who are only interested in their own gain and advancement. It is this combination of people that add to the appealing nature of the story in between Trotsky’s revelations and snippets of his revolutionary activities.

Another wonderful aspect of the book that I liked was its setting. Trotsky and the other exiles continue with their journey in the unforgiving winter. The chilling cold adds to their desperation and accentuates their frustration. The further they travel towards Obdorskoye, the worse the climate gets. There is also the threat of typhus which grows more apparent. The harsh climatic conditions make the possibility of an escape seem even more impossible. With little traveling in and out of Berezovo, the idea of escaping exile is more daunting to Trotsky.

The book’s only drawback that I identified was its many characters. At first, it was a bit confusing to identify each of them but as the story progressed, their identity became clearer.

Berezovo by A.J. Allen is well-edited as it contains only some minor errors. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and readers who are fans of historical fiction will find it a great treat. Readers who prefer shorter accounts and who are not fans of the genre may not enjoy it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Berezovo
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't even imagine such a harsh climate. The combination of character types, makes this one extremely intriguing to me. More times than not, there isn't a whole lot of diversity. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

It's great that the characters are so well written and diverse, but the plot doesn't interest me, so I'll pass. Great review, though!
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

Sounds like a fascinating book. I'm a fan of Russian history so this one is intriguing.

Return to “Historical Fiction”