Official Review: Lily's Story by Don Gutteridge

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Lily's Story by Don Gutteridge

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lily's Story" by Don Gutteridge.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lily’s Story, by Don Gutteridge, begins in 1845. Lily is a little girl who takes care of her sick mother and is loved by her hard-working father. She feels at home with the nature that surrounds their small house and is intrigued by the Indians whose lifestyle starkly contrasts with the one that her society prods her to follow. Lily is uprooted from her home and sent away to live with her aunt after an unpleasant encounter shakes her understanding of the world. At her aunt’s place, a world of possibility opens up for her, which, in turn, paves a path of upheavals that will test her mettle, time and again.

Lily’s Story is a very beautifully written novel. The author has a keen way of describing the backdrops in his story. His characters come alive when he describes their aches and emotions in the most heartfelt manner. Every line of the story feels like a stroke on the canvas- meticulously planned and carefully drawn, to create a mesmerising picture. In many ways, it is not the plot itself that draws you in. It is the way that the story is written which binds you in a spell, and you are compelled to read further. I can’t say that the writing of any recent novel has had such an impact on me. It reminds you of the classics, written by the likes of Austen, Hardy and the Brontë sisters.

Just as beautifully he has painted his characters, Gutteridge has made them equally realistic. Lily’s character is very lovable. You quickly invest in her story and share in all the good and bad experiences of her life. You watch her grow from a curious young girl to a woman who has been hardened by her experiences. Lily has a vibrant and strong personality, and by the end of the story, she establishes herself as an inspirational heroine, of sorts. What makes her story all the more colourful is the myriad of characters that cross paths with her. If you begin to make a count, you’ll find that there are too many characters in this story. However, they come in waves, one after the other, and leave quietly when their purpose is served. This way, it never feels too crowded or confusing. It is easy to keep a track of everyone, and you get to know them with the same sincerity that Lily does.

I would recommend this book to people who like reading the classics. While some will appreciate its descriptive nature, for others, it might become tiresome. Amateur readers and those who are used to a simpler form of writing might not want to read Lily’s Story. Considering the age group, the possible audience for this book ranges from teenagers to octogenarians. For the young, this book will act as a lesson on multiple fronts. For the old, it could be reminiscent of some similar experiences in their lives. Everyone has something they can take away from this book.

My rating for Lily’s Story is 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the fact that it was very well-written, I felt that it could have been a bit shorter. The last quarter could use some cutting down, which would further elevate the impact of the revelations that the reader is exposed to. In addition to this, there were a couple of typos and errors; however, they were too far and few to significantly influence the reading experience. All in all, this is a very good novel and comes highly recommended by me.

Lily's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I find that classics do sometimes tend to be long winded. I'm curious about Lily, and I love that her character is so lovable. It's one I'll have to put on my list to pick up when I'm in the mood for a book like this. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Lily sounds like an interesting character and the author has that way of writing that draws you in to the story. I love your age range for your recommendations! Thanks for your recommendation of this enchanting book.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The book seems to contain an interesting plot about Lily. Character development is also visible when she grow from a curious young girl to a woman who has been hardened by her experiences. Intriguing review!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Great review! I find that the writing style always makes or breaks a book for me, and that it is much more important to me than the actual plot. Probably why I love classics, and I'm sure I'd love this book as well. I'm also glad that the main character is lovable, I always want to be able to get emotionally invested in the characters. I will add it to my "to read" list!
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by linham02660 »

sounds like a really great book. I love some of the classics. I am into more action myself but will read it eventually. Thanks for your review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

can’t say that the writing of any recent novel has had such an impact on me. It reminds you of the classics, written by the likes of Austen, Hardy and the Brontë sisters.
Ooooh, those are great references! I love those books. This sounds intriguing indeed. I want to know more about what makes Lily have to leave, and what happens after she does!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This isn't the type of book I like to read, so I'll probably skip it. Great review, though!

Return to “Historical Fiction”