Official Review: Fire Angels by Joseph Richardson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Fire Angels by Joseph Richardson

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fire Angels" by Joseph Richardson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fire Angels by Joseph Richardson is a profound novel recounting the racial discrimination at the start of the twentieth century, the memory of World War I and the 1918 influenza epidemic.

The story is set in Walako, a small town situated in Florida. David Cooper has struggled through life with the death of his parents and his younger brother, Ira. Things take a hopeful turn when he marries Sara and before long, they learn that they are expecting a baby. Still, World War 1 is looming closer and the racial tensions in Walako are growing with the Ku Klux Klan having some roots in the small town.

Fire Angels is expertly written covering crucial topics that relate to the making of a nation and the obstacles that had to be overcome. An important character in the book is Jack Harris, an African American man who is willing to fight for his nation in the war despite the racial discrimination he has witnessed and has been subjected to. Despite his accomplishments in the army, he is forced to return to Walako. He does not give up, rather, he adopts a new vision for his community. Jack and his wife Cora start a school for the African American community in the settlement.

David and Sara Cooper are adeptly created main characters. Unlike many around them, they are progressive and choose to see every person around them as their equals despite their skin color. Sara’s tenacity and willingness to learn to be independent especially with the possibility of David going off to war is admirable. David, on the other hand, is humble and he chooses to keep his sacrifices and accomplishments during the war to himself.

The pace of the story is appropriate. Joseph Richardson does not linger on details that do not help develop the plot. Instead, every scene is impactful and helps move the story forward. The conversations in the book are informative and they provide a glimpse into the attitude of the people in that era. The antagonist is given enough room in the book as well as the supporting characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and I did not find anything that I particularly disliked. The book is also professionally edited and contains very few errors. I recommend Fire Angels to readers who love stories that are created from historical viewpoints and events. Readers who do not enjoy these themes may not enjoy the book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Fire Angels
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great story if you like that time period. I'm more interested in the flu epidemic than the information about WWI, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for this at the moment. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author's perspective of history and racial tensions is quite interesting. I would love to read this book to learn more about this era. Thanks for this compelling review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

My heart swells for David and Jack after reading your review. Thank you for the lovely recommendation!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This isn't the type of book I like to read. Still, it sounds like the author wrote a great book.They also chose a great title and cover picture. That was what made me click on the review.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I always love historical fiction novels, and it sounds like this is a great one with well developed characters and story line. Thanks for the review!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Based on your insightful review, this seems like a book worth reading. I enjoy historical novels that have the ability for the protagonist to overcome obstacles. I have added this book to my reading list. Thanks! :techie-studyingbrown:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Elvis93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis93.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Elvis93 »

really interesting this review. I actually love books with great historical content. thanks for the review. I am looking forward to reading it

Return to “Historical Fiction”