Official Review: Redemption by Dr Larry D Black

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Redemption by Dr Larry D Black

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Redemption" by Dr Larry D Black.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eden and Gethsemane; the two gardens represent sin, suffering, redemption, and paradise. Redemption: A Tale of Two Gardens by Dr. Larry D. Black will appeal to readers who have wondered what it would be like to walk through Eden or considered how it must have felt to witness the prayers and betrayal of Jesus in Gethsemane. The well-known biblical gardens and the events that transpired in them serve as the basis for the present-day journey of Tim, a young man who struggles with his faith and self-worth and is at a crossroads in his life.

As someone who has often felt nearest to God in the garden and is also partial to stories of redemption, the book's title and synopsis ticked all the boxes for me. I absolutely loved the author's creative perspective of comparing the gardens of Eden and Gethsemane and establishing them as the foundation for a contemporary coming-of-age story. Likewise, I enjoyed the author's use of imagery to create beautifully picturesque gardens for readers to visualize being taken back to Eden and Gethsemane.

Unfortunately, the portions of the book that addressed Tim's background lacked authenticity compared to those featuring the garden scenes and the lessons presented in them. The author seemed more in his element expounding upon scriptures and spiritual truths, whereas his attempt to establish Tim's character fell flat. It often felt like I was reading content from two different authors. This was most evident in conversations which were extremely forced and stilted. Also, at times, the syntax was not realistic for the character's age. For instance, when Tim was eight, his choir director cast him as the lead in the annual Christmas production, and his response was, "Sir, I respect your judgment about stage productions and performers, but I am not the best candidate." I've had the pleasure of being acquainted with several respectful eight-year-olds, but this seems like an unlikely response from children of this age.

Without exposing any spoilers, as Tim's story unfolds, there are circumstances he must face from his past; the related storyline isn't remotely believable. I noted inconsistencies with the plot's timeline as well. For example, Tim mentions playing video games on an iPad at the age of six and posting videos on Musical.ly around the age of eight. Since Tim is currently twenty-two, the numbers don't add up; the iPad wasn't released until 2010, and Musical.ly wasn't launched until 2014.

Additionally, there were numerous editorial issues. I counted over twenty grammatical errors in the first four chapters of the book. At times, the narrative randomly switched back and forth from third-person to first-person narrative, which I found distracting. For all of the above reasons, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. Though a comprehensive edit is needed, it presents an imaginative perspective on redemption. A list of relevant questions for personal reflection is also provided. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy Christian fiction related to counseling and Bible study. Those who don't enjoy reading scriptures will prefer to pass on this one.

Redemption
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting! I wouldn't have thought of comparing the two gardens or appreciating their differences and similarities. It's too bad the parts about Tim's life aren't as well-done as the other parts. Still, it might be worth reading just to discover the treatment of the two gardens. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 08:53 Interesting! I wouldn't have thought of comparing the two gardens or appreciating their differences and similarities. It's too bad the parts about Tim's life aren't as well-done as the other parts. Still, it might be worth reading just to discover the treatment of the two gardens. Thanks.
Yes, I really liked the comparison of the gardens. Thanks for your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a truly amazing concept. Two gardens that we never think to compare. Your review really has me intrigued. I am curious as to how the author connects the gardens to Tim's life. Maybe he should have stuck to the gardens without adding the fictional element. Either way, I am curious to read this book. Thanks for your immensely interesting review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

I appreciate your comment. I agree--the non-fiction portions of the book were stronger than the fiction story about Tim.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

The plot for this tale sounds really interesting. It's a shame that the author fell down in its execution.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

MsTri wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 12:29 The plot for this tale sounds really interesting. It's a shame that the author fell down in its execution.
His thoughts on the two gardens are wonderful, but the fictional aspect did fall short. Thanks for your comment.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The unbelievable events toppled by numerous grammar errors don't make the book a good read. Nice review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rose Harebate wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 08:07 The unbelievable events toppled by numerous grammar errors don't make the book a good read. Nice review.
Thanks for your comment.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I have never heard a comparison between Eden and Gethsemene and cannot imagine much similarity, so I am intrigued. Perhaps if the author had written more of a memoir than creating a fictional account, it could solve some of the story/mileau issues.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

PGreen wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 11:27 I have never heard a comparison between Eden and Gethsemene and cannot imagine much similarity, so I am intrigued. Perhaps if the author had written more of a memoir than creating a fictional account, it could solve some of the story/mileau issues.
The comparison of the garden was very interesting. I agree. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”