Official Review: Lofton 6 by Darryl G Lofton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Lofton 6 by Darryl G Lofton

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lofton 6" by Darryl G Lofton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Lofton 6, Darryl G. Lofton tells the story of his African-American family. His parents, Leon and Esther, were both school teachers in Los Angeles, California. The Brown v. Board of Education US Supreme Court ruling of 1954, supposed to end racial discrimination in America, became the catalyst for the downfall of their family. His parents lost their teaching jobs and any opportunities to get employment; they eventually filed a case against the Los Angeles Unified School District. As they continued their fight for their right to work, the government stymied their efforts, finally arresting them for vagrancy in 1966. At that time, their six children were taken into government custody. It was all the more painful because Leon was an American hero, having received a Purple Heart for being wounded in World War II.

Darryl describes how he and his siblings got separated, lived with various foster families, attended different schools, were molested by deviant characters in their foster homes, reunited with their parents on and off through the years, and generally experienced disorganized lives.

What is it like to be a black person in America? Do the present laws treat them fairly? Has Obama made the black person equal to the white person?

I am Asian, and I have my own experiences to tell about discrimination. Although I had head knowledge of the plight of blacks in America, this book heightened my awareness. The book led me to read up on “separate but equal,” “Jim Crow,” and the civil rights movement. I was moved to tears just imagining the experiences of this mistreated race. The author refers to the situation as the American "Holocaust."

Despite his harrowing experiences, Darryl has kept his sense of humor. The chapters are given witty titles; most of the stories are narrated in a lighthearted manner. He shares interesting trivia with his stories to help the reader travel back in time. However, the humor does not mask the pain that he carries in his heart.

Darryl includes pictures that allow the reader to appreciate the people in his stories more. The reader also sees a copy of the case filed by Leon and Esther Lofton in the appendix.

This is an eye-opening and heart-rending read for me. I wish that discrimination of all kinds would stop.

While the book is certainly touching, there is room for improvement. The editing leaves much to be desired. Misspellings, punctuation errors, wrong verbs, and other grammar lapses abound. For the editing issue, the book loses one star. There is also some jumping around in the stories, making it difficult to pinpoint when events occurred. Too many technical details are shared about Darryl’s stint with the Navy. These make reading a bit of a chore and cost another star.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is not short on action and drama, but it needs a more systematic organization and better editing to really shine. Non-fans of autobiographies may not enjoy it. However, I believe the book will touch many readers, both those who have experienced discrimination and those who want to be made aware of the sad experience of alienation.

Lofton 6
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bellabu09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Bellabu09 »

Well this book is interesting and i think it talks of black people freedom struggle and difficulties
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would have thought Brown vs. the board of education would have been a good thing. I didn't think some would lose their jobs because of it. How sad. Still, with the two star rating I'm thinking I'll wait for more editing. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 17:56 I would have thought Brown vs. the board of education would have been a good thing. I didn't think some would lose their jobs because of it. How sad. Still, with the two star rating I'm thinking I'll wait for more editing. Thanks.
It was meant to be a good thing. But the states were given a free hand (I'm guessing) in implementing changes. California didn't do right, it seems.

Thanks for visiting, Sarah. I hope Darryl does the needed fine-tuning. I want him to succeed as a writer and to vindicate his family.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bellabu09 wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 16:19 Well this book is interesting and i think it talks of black people freedom struggle and difficulties
Yes, it is and it does. I hope you can make time for it.

Thank you for reading and commenting. Happy New Year!
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melissah30 »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 17:56 Still, with the two star rating I'm thinking I'll wait for more editing. Thanks.
I was thinking the same thing
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

melissah30 wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 00:41
kandscreeley wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 17:56 Still, with the two star rating I'm thinking I'll wait for more editing. Thanks.
I was thinking the same thing
Let's hope Darryl does the necessary soon. His story needs to be told.

Thanks for the interest!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I have read many books and accounts on discrimination; they are not something nice at all. I can feel Darryl's pains through your review. Although it has so many areas for correction, I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

T_stone wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 16:16 I have read many books and accounts on discrimination; they are not something nice at all. I can feel Darryl's pains through your review. Although it has so many areas for correction, I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the honest review.
Thanks for the interest. I hope you have a good experience with the book. I also wish Darryl would work on the errors soon.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This is an eye-opening and heart-rending read for me. I wish that discrimination of all kinds would stop.
I agree. This sounds like a book I would enjoy with the exception of the editing issues. Thanks for the recommendation. :tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Cecilia_L wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 18:51
I agree. This sounds like a book I would enjoy with the exception of the editing issues. Thanks for the recommendation. :tiphat:
Thanks for the interest. Darryl's story deserves to be told.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

What a painful autobiography is this! I am amazed that all this is happening in a country that claims to fully protect human rights... I also reviewed an autobiography, "Riddle of the Firstborn. " It also depicts the same themes of racial discrimination with black people. I can say only, nature never changes. Only God can do this, If He wants.
Thanks for the review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 03:12 What a painful autobiography is this! I am amazed that all this is happening in a country that claims to fully protect human rights... I also reviewed an autobiography, "Riddle of the Firstborn. " It also depicts the same themes of racial discrimination with black people. I can say only, nature never changes. Only God can do this, If He wants.
Thanks for the review.
Let's continue to hope for true equality for all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

A blessed year ahead!
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I like the fact that most of the stories are narrated in a lighthearted manner. wonderful review
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

C-Extra22 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 07:50 I like the fact that most of the stories are narrated in a lighthearted manner. wonderful review
Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts and kind words.

Return to “Historical Fiction”