Official Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Re: Official Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for a great review. Just from the free chapters of this latest book, I think I would enjoy reading this novel. This is the type of writing that I have now become accustomed to. I enjoy Jennie Linannes writing style. I have been a fan since the first book of hers that I read. Easy to see why she has #BOTD.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
J Badiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by J Badiah »

Thank you for the review. In the first paragraph I thought "it is not for me", but after I read till end I change my mind. There's a romance inside and it's my thing. Sold out!!!
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I know very little about life in Australia in the past so this will be a very interesting read and interesting to compare it to life in Ireland around the same time
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

This seems like a lovely book with small emphasis on drama. I'll be adding this one to my WTR shelf. Thanks for the review :)
keva1022
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by keva1022 »

Thanks for the awesome review! :tiphat:
Sounds like an awesome book, a great family story. With a really wonderful
buildup of the characters in the story! :techie-reference:
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Being an only child, it's difficult to comprehend being one of nine children. I look forward to spending time with this book soon. Thanks for the great review!

:techie-reference:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Jill Pollini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jill Pollini »

This sounds like a unique novel, that's historically accurate to the time period. I love history and I love reading so this sounds like a perfect book for me. The themes surrounding family make the book sound realistic. I am excited to read the book now!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Following Annie's dream to become a nurse post-WWII sounds like a sweet premise. It's good to know that the characters are memorable and that their flaws were realistic. I'm glad you enjoyed the historical aspects of the book and that there isn't any real criticism that you have for the book. Good to know that the book seems to be edited well. I'm not in the mood for reading a book featuring nostalgia of simpler times, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I always thanks God because I have good neighbors. I've seen cases like the Hughs Family that end up selling their houses or renting them because of not getting along with the neighbors. This story sounds quite interesting.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like the idea of the coming of age tale from a growing girl's perspective, set in Australia around the time of WWII. The flawed characters and small-town vibe are many of the areas in which this book thrives. The Hughs family sounds endearing and relatable. Thanks for the great review.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Just reading your review gave me a foreign vibe of nostalgia for a book I've never read and an experience I've never experienced. The way you've conveyed how immersive your reading experience was reaches across the screen. I wouldn't go out of my way to read this book, because it feels a little too slow paced for me, but it's definitely not a hard 'no' if I found my to-be-read pile running low.

Thank-you. :)
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Good to see a review for another Jennie Linnane book. I know of her from her other books Ironbark Hill and More Heavens Than One, and looks like I'm going to have to check this one out too. Authentic characters, depth of emotion, and historical detail all seem to be strengths of the author, and this book sounds like it's no exception.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

River Kids by Jennie Linnane is about Jack and Margo Hughs's family and life. They live with their 9 kids. I think the story is more about survival. I don't choose this kind of books to read but it's good to try something new.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

What I love about historical fictions is it gives you a glimpse of what it feels like to live in a certain period. The intricacies of interwoven facts into the stories also amaze me. This is what you said is present in this novel. I look forward to reading more about Annie and her family. Thank you for your review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
mina1220
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by mina1220 »

I love the way you can see from the most significant events to the most common ones through the children's, especially Annie's point of view which you can see how it develops as she grows up.
The life of this fictional family is described in such a way that it is impossible not to feel related to them. I think it is a very nice story in a time when things used to seem simpler.

Return to “Historical Fiction”