Official Review: The Copyist by Jack Karasch

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Re: Official Review: The Copyist by Jack Karasch

Post by Fazzier »

This book seems interesting. I love artworks and so I think this historical fiction is worth devoting my time for. Abel is another interesting character I would like to see his progress as the story unfolds. Thanks for this wonderful review!
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I love learning but don’t know much about art history. This novel seems like a great combination of a good story and art facts
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
darbybj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 803

Post by darbybj »

"The Copyist", by Jack Karasch is set in the early 1900's in Chicago. It is about Abel Moreau a poor Frenchman who shines shoes for a living and eats bread and water from one day to the next just to get by. It is also about Nathaniel Bosher who is the curator at the Museum of Art who doesn't believe his paintings should be hung on the walls. Abel finds out that he is good at replicating the drawings of the painters Monet, Van Gongh and a couple other famous painters. When Nathaniel discovers this about Abel he tries to talk him into doing painting of his own but Abel is uncertain whether he can do it. This book has alot of facts to learn through the character Abel in each chapter about the famous historical painters that he copied. There is also a romantic side through the affair that Nathaniel has with Franny and the one Abel has with Suzette who end up falling in love. The author has done a great job writing this book. I give it 4*'s.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

This sounds to be something good to read. I am a fan of the arts those this is fictional. I am curious to unjust their spin on it.
Chelsea N. Hackett
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

This sounds intriguing! The review was wonderfully thorough and gave great insight on what to expect. I appreciate the note about the romance since I am a romance buff myself. I look forward to reading this one! Thank you for a great review!
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

It's amazing that this book can be used to motivate artists who are on the verge of giving up. Sad that the main character's personality leaves much to be desired. Probably the author had his reasons? Thanks for the review!!
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Abel's knowledge of art is what attracts me most to this book. I love books about art and this one is right up my alley.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Ana Rai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ana Rai »

Art has always been a bright spot for me to indulge and this book appears promising. I can forgive Abel's characterization because I have a long history of dealing with unlikeable main characters in many of my favourite books. The time setting of the books already intrigues me because I associate the roaring twenties with magic and corruption. Being the romantic that I am who craves a well written slow burn romance, I am already liking Abel and Suzette's relationship. Thank you for the review!
S munu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by S munu »

I love art but is not my course of study but there is something in that book that connect life with poverty that no matter what your condition in life is not permanent
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

A historical fiction set in the late 1920's where the reader can learn about famous works of art sounds exciting. Thanks for the great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book sounds intriguing with multiple themes of romance, historical fiction and art. Fans of these genres would enjoy this.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Kimberly Grow »

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I have a few observations, though, that I don't want to reveal here as they are spoilers, but I would love to talk with you via personal message if you are interested.

I have only read the first two chapters, but after having read the review I have a good idea about where this story is going to go just from the snippet. Luckily, this has just made my interest grow in this book. I will be reading the rest of it and from what I can tell already, I will not be disappointed.
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:
read+er
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read-er.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by read+er »

The art knowledge and the romance part sound good. I may give this a try.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I'm not an art buff, but I do like a couple of pieces such as Munch’s The Scream and Van Gogh’s The Starry Night However, I don't so much like reading about art. I read the sample pages but this isn't the book for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for the thorough review.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Copyist by Jack Karasch' is simple and straightforward description of the story of the book. I like the fact that the book can boost the spirits of artists who have given up on art. The review has a nice ending!

Return to “Historical Fiction”