Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kadinkins14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kadinkins14.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by kadinkins14 »

I'm always skeptical about reading a book out of order from it's prequels. It sounds like this is not a problem with this novel. It definitely sounds like a page-turner. I'm still not sure if I will enjoy this book but I will keep it in mind.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I haven't actually read any of the books in the Warramunga series, but judging from the reviews this one sounds interesting. Great review.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

based on both of review and story I can tell that this book is quite interesting; I'm looking forward to reading it!

thanks for your review!
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

It's an interesting historical fiction. But it's not really my fancy, especially when it may not stand alone.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Michael40 wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 07:57 It's an interesting historical fiction. But it's not really my fancy, especially when it may not stand alone.
But it may stand alone, as far as I remember. How can you not like it when your favorite book is from the same series?
Echez_
Currently Reading: Totto-chan, the Little Girl at the Window
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echez.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Echez_ »

I believe this book would be interesting to read. Thanks for such a great review
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Skills of the Warramunga'. This book is fast-paced and full of suspense. The characters are relatable and charming. The author did a wonderful job of creating such an enduring series that readers can enjoy.
Mosele 19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosele-19.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mosele 19 »

My love for actions packed stories will make me choose this one. I also love the title. Your review too was really convincing. Nice review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I loved the first book, Warramunga's War, in this trilogy and I have a feeling I shall enjoy this one also. I enjoy the Greg's descriptive narrative and engaging plots, as well as his character development. Thanks for a great review on this book, and the other two are definitely worth a read.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

While I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, I think that the book seems to be a great read for people who enjoy the genre. The action-packed historical fiction novel seems to never have a dull moment.
kiki2881
Currently Reading: The diary of a little girl
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki2881.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by kiki2881 »

i liked the presence of a female character in the story, but i wished there'd be more significant female characters, much better to read representation from non binary or lgbtq folks
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80354
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 793%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Historical fiction and the 3rd book warramunga is a gritty tale of espionage a rescue mission with untold challenges featuring likable character early in 1946 former army officer Jamie Munro and his half aboriginal friend and colleague jack o' Brien who head the commonwealth investigation service in Darwin are called on to assist in the rescue of colonel John cock a senior operatives of M16 who has been kidnapped by bandits and taken into the jungle of Malaya ..but also with a murderous and subversive organization of fascist criminal whose aim is to disrupt the creation of the Malaya union by the British military authority set to take place on 1st of April 1946 foment an uprising and take over control of the country .all the inheritance bushcraft skills of the warramunga are needed to rescue colonel cook as well as prevent catastrophic mayhem on the Malayan peninsula..BOTD 📚📚📚📚✅
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80354
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 793%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Historical fiction and the 3rd book warramunga is a gritty tale of espionage a rescue mission with untold challenges featuring likable character early in 1946 former army officer Jamie Munro and his half aboriginal friend and colleague jack o' Brien who head the commonwealth investigation service in Darwin are called on to assist in the rescue of colonel John cock a senior operatives of M16 who has been kidnapped by bandits and taken into the jungle of Malaya ..but also with a murderous and subversive organization of fascist criminal whose aim is to disrupt the creation of the Malaya union by the British military authority set to take place on 1st of April 1946 foment an uprising and take over control of the country .all the inheritance bushcraft skills of the warramunga are needed to rescue colonel cook as well as prevent catastrophic mayhem on the Malayan peninsula..BOTD 📚📚📚📚✅
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

This action packed story is about Johnny Cook who was kidnapped because he was mistaken for one of the new government administration. Johnny's two friends now went on a mission to rescue him. I will read this book to know if Johnny was finally rescued.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

The review sounds as thrilling as I look forward to the actual story to be, in essence I'm gonna read it for the sake of the review.
It's important to sound an alarm for such a note at the end and wherever racially ignorant comments are lying about even it's not the intent of the writers. In this day and age, there's more than humongous volumes of scientific evidence that can prove such racial slurs to be of depraved mentality and lack of self esteem as a reason for directing to hem towards others, also seeking attention form doing so thereby.
That aside, it sounds like a good story to learn a few wilderness tracking tips.
On my shelf and soon to be read,.it goes.

Return to “Historical Fiction”