Official Review: War Serenade by Jillwallace

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Official Review: War Serenade by Jillwallace

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "War Serenade" by Jillwallace.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War Serenade by Jill Wallace is a love story set in South Africa during World War II. Iris is a young British woman living in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. While there isn’t direct fighting in the British colony, they are still seeing the effects of the war. Her brother joined the war as a pilot and is fighting in Europe. There is a Prisoner of War (POW) camp set up just outside of her town in which Italian soldiers who were captured are being held. She’s even made her own efforts to help out with the war by volunteering in the hospital.

Pietro is an Italian POW housed in the camp in Pietermaritzburg. His plane was shot down, and he barely survived. He was rescued at the price of being a prisoner. He’s lost all hope and sees no joy in life. That all changes when he gets a glimpse of Iris through the fence. When their eyes meet, there is an instant connection that is unlike anything either of them has ever felt before. How does love work when the two people are on opposite sides of the war? You’ll have to read the book to find out.

I am a huge fan of World War II stories. It’s one of the few time periods in historical fiction that I enjoy. This book offered a very unique perspective on the war. I always think about Europe, Russia, The United States, and Japan when I think about World War II. It never even crossed my mind that the war would have affected South Africa due to their colonization by the British. When I think about the different camps that held prisoners during the war, I think of the German concentration camps in Europe and the internment camps for the Japanese Americans in the U.S. I honestly wouldn’t have thought of POW camps housing Italian soldiers in South Africa. I love how much this book opened my mind up to all of the different aspects of the war.

I also really enjoyed the love story told throughout this book. Forbidden love is one of those topics that can be used over and over, and I still find myself immersed every time. This book was no exception. The love story between Iris and Pietro really pulled me in. I loved that the book switched perspectives between the two characters, so I really got to see it from both sides.

While I really enjoyed the story itself, there were a couple of negative aspects of the book. The first was that it took a long time to pick up. The background given was often extensive and could easily have been condensed. I found myself wanting to stop reading several times in the first quarter of the book because it got to be tiring to read. There were also a couple of erotic scenes that really dragged on. They didn’t add to the story and could easily have been omitted.

Another issue I had with the book was the lack of editing. There were several distracting errors throughout the book that I just couldn’t overlook. For example, the name “Gregg” was also spelled “Greg”, and the punctuation was inconsistent. I would definitely suggest another round of editing for this book.

Keeping those pros and cons in mind, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It started off slow, but I really got into it by the end. If it didn’t drag in the beginning and the errors were fixed, I would probably consider giving it a perfect score. As written, I had to take away one star. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves romance and who is interested in different perspectives of World War II.

[Editor Note: Since the time of the review, the book has been edited to correct the errors noted by the reviewer.]
War Serenade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I love history and it's nice to see an area of war history you don't get to see written about so often in other books. Although I don't particularly like slow beginnings as I love to be able to be pulled into a book and not be able to put it down from start to finish, the topic is intriguing enough to make me want to read it. Thank you for the review!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm not much for historical fiction, but don't we all love a forbidden love story? Very nice review, thank you.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

anneloretrujillo wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 14:36 While I really enjoyed the story itself, there were a couple of negative aspects of the book. The first was that it took a long time to pick up. The background given was often extensive and could easily have been condensed. I found myself wanting to stop reading several times in the first quarter of the book because it got to be tiring to read.
That to me is one of the worst sins a book can have. I mean, it's the beginning. You're supposed to hook the reader so that he'll continue reading. If a book has a slow start that makes want to quit reading it. Why would I not assume the rest of the book won't be a drag?

Anyway, you wrote a nice review. It seems like it's a really interesting story once you get past the slow beginning.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sometimes it's so hard just to hang on past the background of the book. It takes so long for the story to actually get started that many lose their interest and stop reading. I'm afraid I would be one of those. But, if you can get past that, it sounds like a great story.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love the cover of this book, but I'm really not a fan of WWII historical fiction. I did enjoy your review though and agree that forbidden love never gets old <3
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

'War Serenade' seems to be an interesting book giving a different perspective of World War II. I have always been fascinated by the World Wars and romance novels are my go to. This book seems right up my alley.
Thank you for the great review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not a big romance fan, but the idea of seeing the war from a new perspective is interesting.
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

There is a balm of hope whenever love is involved.I am not too sure about this one. Great review,all tge same.
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

I love historical fiction and romance, so this sounds right up my alley! I have never thought of South Africa during WWII, like you mentioned, but it sounds like a very interesting background for a story. I'll make sure to keep in mind the warning about the slow beginning when I read. Thanks for the review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." - George R. R. Martin
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I love to have a different perspective of world war 11. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I love an unconventional perspective on WWII, especially if a romance is engrained within the context. I am glad the book underwent a round of polishing to render it editorially clean. Thanks for the insightful review.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

This seems like a really interesting book, I'm always intrigued by historical fictions that have romance in them, though most are derivative. I think this one is a bit unique. Thanks for a thorough review.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I fancy reading Historical fiction narrative. I will give the book a try though am not a fan of romantic stories. Thank you for your kind review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
muchemost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by muchemost »

the beginning of this story is not that interesting but as you read ahead actions of love come in and make the story more enticing. I just love how it ends.

Return to “Historical Fiction”