Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Karina Nowak »

I honestly didn't think I would be into this book, but your review changed my mind. Not that I don't like war stories, I just need to be in the mood for them. Good review!
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I've read a few historical fictions before mainly about ww1 and ww2, so I may see if I enjoy this one.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a well-written story and also a great history lesson. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
ShiRah185
Currently Reading: Knowing He's There
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirah185.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Post by ShiRah185 »

Re: Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And...
by: ShiRah185

It is quite heartbreaking that the naval officers suffered due to exposure to Agent Orange. Even more painful is knowing that their government is unwilling to assist them or treat them like heroes. I am glad that plights like these are highlighted via the book club.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I am not a fan of historical books but I am glad that you liked reading this book. Congrats to the author on the 4/4 rating.
Temmy2000
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Temmy2000 »

Thanks for the wonderful review. Although I don't like really like books that is based on war, but the way you describe the book and the author is really captivating, so am considering about reading the book.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I love how the author has much realism involved with this book. War is not an easy thing to go through; my own cousin was in the Navy and has now decided to take a government job closer to home. While I appreciate the realism that the author used in his book, I will give this one a pass. Congrats on a great review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Tam_R0se
Favorite Book: Dying to Stay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tam-r0se.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tam_R0se »

I agree Miller is a gifted author and creates memorable characters. These soldiers conquered the horrors they faced with courage, grit, and humor. It is shameful how they had to battle their own government when they came home. My grandmother's second husband was one of these men.
Ezyg
Favorite Book: Pursuing a Better Tomorrow
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 271

Post by Ezyg »

The review of the book The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath can help help every readers to have a picture of what happen relating it with the story.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I love good historical fiction and while I usually don't go for books set in this era, I was intrigued by your review. Thank you and congrats on BOTD!
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

This book touches on a very important subject that most people don't know happens. It opens the reader's eyes to the neglected flaws in how war veterans were treated. I'm not sure by how much this issue has been addressed. I commend the author for making a bold statement. Albeit, in a fictional way.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I have always loved reading historical fictions. And the Vietnam war remains the most poignant and dark period. This books looks very interesting. I agree that it must be read by every patriotic American. But not just Americans, every sensitive and aware citizen needs to learn about the machinations of governments and their impacts on lives of soldiers, their families, and common people.
olatunji 5326
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olatunji 5326 »

Thanks for the review...this actually open my mind about what the sailors do encounter at war and I can't stop imagining about the consent.....I can't wait to get the book
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

In "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", Randy Miller weaves a historical fiction tale based on true events following the adventures of a Vietnam veteran named Zachariah Martin.

#HistoricalFiction #Vietnam #War #Love #Friendship #Duty
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

It sounds like the author was very successful at creating realistic characters! War novels aren't typically for me, so I may pass on this one. Great review!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.

Return to “Historical Fiction”