Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
giftdrell
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And...

Post by giftdrell »

This kind of eye-opening stories can help a little bit to create conscience of the devastating horror not only to the ones that go to the war but also to the ones that are left behind. Thanks for the review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Randy Miller’s characters are as real as can be. It was easy for me to paint a picture in my mind of the war heroes and their opponents. The impact each of them has is further accentuated by an adept description of the background. The unforgiving terrain, the unfamiliar climates and cuisine all compound together to show what the sailors had to face in the surreal land.

There is no doubt that Miller is a gifted author. His way with words is truly engaging for any reader. He is able to balance the heart-wrenching experiences of war while still inserting aspects of humor into the storyline. As the book begins, a terrifying yet humorous character is introduced. His terrible temper yet down to earth character adds a fascinating twist right from the beginning. Funnier still are his remarks which send the boys in spells of laughter while being very careful to do this away from his presence.
This is a great asset in a book. I always find much more relatable and interesting characters that are multidimensional, flawed and human.

Although I don't find the plot appealing, I understand its cultural and social value for Americans and I appreciate the author having the courage to approach such a sensitive subject in an well-developed literary fiction.
Great review, thanks.
Jude Uwaje
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-uwaje.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jude Uwaje »

Stories of water travel and war are very engaging to the mind. All the points highlighted about the book are very enticing. Nice job!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I despise historical fiction, and anything with the word "Vietnam" is an automatic no for me.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Not a fan of historical fictions or books on war so I added to my not interested in reading shelf. I like the emotional story and bits of humor incorporated, very interesting for those that appreciate this genre.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

There is so much to learn about this war for me as I was so young and didn’t know anything aboiy it. Historical fiction is a great way to teach readers about something while weaving it into a compelling story. I am currently reading a non-fiction book on this right now, so this one is a pass for me at this point. I may circle back later as I cannot read about too much of the same subject at once. Great review. I appreciate the insight.
Everything happens for a reason...
katiekat274
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by katiekat274 »

"The plot is very emotionally evoking and highlights the plight of 229,000 navy sailors. The young men left everything behind, their loved ones, their dreams of a normal life and the comfort of their homes so as to give themselves fully and wholeheartedly to their call of duty and to the honor of their nation. Anyone would expect them to be received with the honor that they deserved, the recognition advanced to a hero. The opposite happened and they had to fight their administration to receive compensation for the illnesses they suffered from their contact with the lethal Agent Orange."

This paragraph struck me the most, making me want to read the book: it gave a high opinion of the book, but more importantly, it then backed up the opinion with plot points. This creates a more compelling review, and demonstrates the flipping of the expected situation into the opposite, which is the base for the story's conflict. Really great review.
Edmarglen16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edmarglen16 »

I like this book. A war does not impact on one side but both. One is an enemy to another and vice versa. I like books based on true stories. Thank you for your descriptive review!
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

This story sounds like it’s well worth a read! It’s really hard to imagine the horrors that soldiers of war face and I think it’s important for those of us who haven’t fought in a war to take the time to put ourselves in these soldier’s shoes. Kudos to the author for writing about this difficult topic!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I think personally this will be a difficult read, but the book seems well written enough. I really appreciate your detailed review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Excellent review. Glad you enjoyed the book. The story seems to be heart wrenching. You have described it very well in your review. Thanks for the review; I enjoyed it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love historical fiction that's based on true events. This story sounds sad but enlightening. I have always wondered why the veterans are not being taken cared of by the government, considering the sacrifices they have endured. I'm excited to read this and see what happens. Thank you for your review!
Mycin
Currently Reading: The Everything Guide to Writing Your First Novel
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mycin.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mycin »

This book isn't one of my types of books I can read, or stomach reading because I lose interest fast. I do have to appreciate it a lot for its capture of details, characters, and the world. Maybe if I could catch a lot of the references, I'd find it enjoyable. Good read, just not for me.
Dominusjosef
Favorite Book: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Dominusjosef »

this book offers what good historical should provide: enthralling drama, believable characters, and scrupulous research. A powerful fictional account of the Agent Orange debacle.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Thank you for your thought-provoking review. The Vietnam war was fought during my teenage years. Many of my friends served in that hellish war. How they were treated when they returned home was a travesty. This book is important because it tells about the government's shameful treatment of the returning soldiers. Congratulations to the author for being chosen as BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”