Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Re: Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Pauls_ »

The book is based on a true historical events. The characters are humorous. Nicely written review. Congratulations on BOTD.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

I don't usually like to read about wars; it's not easy for me, but having this touch of humor in this book might lead me to giving it a shot.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

The book is a historical books that reflect on war and its after-effects. Spiced with terrific actions, romance and shocking twists, I may enjoy reading the book after all. Congratulations on BOTD.
bookishbrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by bookishbrain »

That sounds like an incredible and powerful book! I can definitely relate to the emotional evocation that the plot brings, and the way the author highlights the plight of the navy sailors is truly poignant. It's clear that Miller is a gifted author with a way with words that truly engages the reader. I can also appreciate the balance of heart-wrenching experiences and moments of humor throughout the story, it adds a unique twist to the narrative. The fact that this book is based on true historical events makes it all the more impactful. I will definitely have to check out Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath by Randy Miller. Thank you for the recommendation!
Robinlloyd17
Currently Reading: Fair cronies and felonies
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinlloyd17.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Robinlloyd17 »

This sounds like a great Vietnam story from a soldier's point of view. This is not my genre, so I will pass on this one.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Novels set in the hell of war are often tough to read, and I have to be in the right frame of mind to read them. This one seems quite intense yet spot on with the trial and tribulations related to that ghastly period in US history.
Edigbo B Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edigbo-b-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Edigbo B Emmanuel »

Many times I have both heard and also seen in movies, the man's inhumanity to man. It is also disheartening to see that, that happens too in the military. For the glory of a dear nation and for the pride of fighting for a just cause, the right to the freedom of a dear nation from enemies and from forces both seen and unseen, a soldier would do things in the interest of his vow to this cause. When they aren't compensated for what they rightly have worked for, that is unhuman by all standards. Great review and congratulations on BOTD.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath is a book based on true historical events. The story is told through a fictional character by the name of Zacharia Martin. He joins the Blue Water Navy Sailor upon graduating from high school. Thanks for your review.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Judging by the review of this book, it sounds like a captivating book into the lives of our sailors at war, and after war. I like your description of how the author draws his characters. No matter the story, if characters aren't likable, the book isn't worth reading. Congrats on BOTD
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

Well thought out review. The soldiers of Vietnam and surrounding countries in support of the efforts in Vietnam as well as the sailors came in contact with Agent Orange. I know because my husband, a Sargeant while serving in Southeast Asia, is dealing with the consequences of OA to this day. It has been a struggle and probably will continue to be as new symptoms arise when least expected. I'm sure that this is a great book, well written and researched, but I will probably not be reading it. War stories are not for me. Especially wars that have impacted someone I love.
Congratulations to the author for attaining BOTD honors!
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your informative review. I have heard of Agent Orange but didn't realize they had to fight for their rightful compensation. War is so hard on everyone, both sides, families and loved ones, as well as friends. From the sample, I could tell it is well-written, but I don't care for books about wars. I'm sure many will enjoy reading this book, especially after reading your review of it. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

This book is full of emotions and is a story based on real and true events during the Vietnam War lived through by the author, and you can't help but be pulled in and live everything alongside him. I absolutely loved the details in this book and how realistic it was.
azza lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azza-lia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by azza lia »

I'm glad that you enjoyed this book. The realistic characters and enlightening humor make the story very engaging. War is never pretty. It is always devastating to hear a story about the war. So many people from both side are still sufferingthe aftermath of war. Thank you for a nice and well written review.
Michelle Castillo 6
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michelle Castillo 6 »

I honestly believe that the review was excellent and gave us a summary of the entire story. It's fascinating and at the same time sad to read this kind of true story, especially when you learned how people fight for their lives. Heartbreaking but full of inspiration.
Johnston316
Favorite Author: Laureen Giulian
Currently Reading: The First Time Father
Bookshelf Size: 12
fav_author_id: 242730

Post by Johnston316 »

I can confirm that the review of Randy Miller’s ‘Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and its Aftermath’ is an insightful and well-written piece. Miller’s characters are vivid and real, and the background description is clear and powerful. His ability to balance the heart-wrenching experiences of war with humor is remarkable. This book is a must-read for anyone interested in the history of the Vietnam War and its aftermath.

Return to “Historical Fiction”