Official Review: Real Principals Have No Class

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Real Principals Have No Class

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Real Principals Have No Class" by DeLene Sholes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Real Principals Have No Class by DeLene Sholes is the interesting story of a small, run-down school in need of tender love and care. You’ll find yourself rooting for this school, despite its lack of funding, accreditation, teachers, and curb appeal.

Suzanne Drew is an elementary school principal. She tells us how she got to be principal and about her struggles taking care of Baker Elementary School. In the first chapter, we find out about all the wonderful changes that were made to the school during Suzanne’s reign. We also receive the superintendent’s decision for her to be removed from the school and placed elsewhere. I thought this was a very odd way to start the book. Before page six, we already know what she’s going to accomplish and how it’s all going to end. It thoroughly confused me.

Chapter two takes us back in time. However, this book is not strictly linear. Parts are organized by situation. For example, there’s a chapter explaining the difficulties of separating religion from public education. We follow the progression of removing the prayers and religious lectures from the school, but it didn’t happen all at once. This way, we could understand the progression of one situation at a time, even though a lot of things overlapped.

Suzanne went from being a teacher to being a teaching principal. This meant she had to juggle the administrative duties of being a principal while also teaching a class. At first, this was made even more difficult since she taught two grades together. I’ve heard of the practice with smaller schools but this book gave me a better idea of how something like that could be accomplished. Eventually, there were enough students attending the school to warrant separate teachers for each grade. Soon after, Suzanne was able to become a “real principal,” which meant she no longer had to teach.

The story arc centers around the growth and improvement of the school. Even though the chapters were more about situations, I still felt the book progressed in a forward direction. I wouldn’t be able to give anyone a timeline of events but I still felt the presence of the beginning, middle, and end of the storyline.

The story seemed well-edited. There were only a few small mistakes throughout the book. However, there were a few cases of formatting changes, and the indentation of paragraphs was not always consistently spaced. Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really hated reading the ending in the first chapter. I felt myself counting down the list of accomplishments while I waited for the inevitable end. There were still a few surprises mixed in and several entertaining encounters that made reading this book well worth it. I would recommend this for light reading to all ages, especially those interested in the inner workings of an elementary school. I would not suggest this book if you’re interested in action or adventure.

Real Principals Have No Class
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think I'd want to be told in the beginning precisely what was going to be accomplished either. However, I do like that you can see the progression of one total event even if it means the book isn't necessarily organized by time. It sounds like a good book with something for us all to learn. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Reading the ending at the beginning would spoil the story for me, too. It's a shame because the progression of the book sounds interesting, otherwise. I appreciate your candid review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I am looking for some lighter reading right now. Maybe this is the one. Nice review.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

What time period does the story take place in?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I believe it was between the 1970s and 90s. Thanks for asking!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is quite an interesting story which centers on growth and the methods used to attain this growth. Thank you for your insightful review.
Nidaconhh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidaconhh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nidaconhh »

It must be hard for Suzanne to juggle between teaching loads and admin's workload. I always love reading books regarding education. Nice review!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This doesn't really sound that interesting. When I was in the 5th grade I shared a class with 4th graders (one of them being my brother!). It worked pretty smoothly. We learned a lot of the same things, but there was also some independent study included where we did things more at an individual pace.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

Knowing the ending from the start may be frustrating enough to cause me to lose interest. While I understand this is a style of writing, I’m not sure that the journey of teacher to principal is intriguing enough to warrant the use of this style. Nevertheless, I may give it a try.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

When I was in elementary I remember our principal was also a substitute teacher. I guess it's not uncommon for small to medium sized schools.

I don't think I would mind much about the outcome of the book was in chapter 1. I mean if it was a murder mystery or espionage then this type would definitely not work.

Thank you for your review, I think I'll read this in the future.
Osahon1
Currently Reading: First Lessons
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by Osahon1 »

Suzanne is a very determined principal who stood her ground against all challenges from pupils and parents to see that the elementary school gets to the standard she wants.nice review
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Suzanne Drew seems to be the kind of leader that is needed today indeed. Someone who can move people from the present circumstances to a better future. Thanks for the review. Purposing to read this book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Thank you for your insight.I am in the middle of reading this story and I have to say it is losing my interest. I do agree it is a bit confusing! Thank you for that great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”