Favorite historical fiction books

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Favorite historical fiction books

Post by Fu Zaila »

What are your favorite historical fiction books? I like books centred around World Wars, set in the real world, focusing on characters who are fictional. My favorites are
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak,
Honolulu by Alan Brennert,
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden,
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
How do you like your historical fiction books? Do you love books set in a particular time in history, but with completely fictional world and characters, like perhaps, And I Darken by kiersten White? Or do you like it when there's some semblance of truth to the fiction? Discussions encouraged!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
EllieAfter
Currently Reading: The Atomic City Girls
Bookshelf Size: 1140
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by EllieAfter »

I love historical fiction and also like books centered around the World Wars as well as the Civil War and Revolutionary War.

John Jakes is probably my favorite historical fiction author. His books can be heavy with details, but I love the character development and the way he manages to weave real-life events into his stories. My favorite series of his is the "North and South" series.

I also enjoyed:
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

EllieAfter wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 12:25 I love historical fiction and also like books centered around the World Wars as well as the Civil War and Revolutionary War.

John Jakes is probably my favorite historical fiction author. His books can be heavy with details, but I love the character development and the way he manages to weave real-life events into his stories. My favorite series of his is the "North and South" series.

I also enjoyed:
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer
I've read The Nightingale and loved it too! I also have The Lilac Girls on my you to read list. Haven't heard of the rest. Will check them out! John Jakes definitely sounds interesting but I'm not sure if I'd like a series of historical fiction. It's just intimidating in a way.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
EllieAfter
Currently Reading: The Atomic City Girls
Bookshelf Size: 1140
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by EllieAfter »

I understand how John Jakes can be intimidating. His books are heavy reads. His Civil War series is only 3 books long, but his Revolutionary War series is like 8 books! He also has a few stand alone books that you might feel more comfortable with. :)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

EllieAfter wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 19:57 I understand how John Jakes can be intimidating. His books are heavy reads. His Civil War series is only 3 books long, but his Revolutionary War series is like 8 books! He also has a few stand alone books that you might feel more comfortable with. :)
Yes, of course. It's definitely hard to make up your mind to read a long book. I'll check the standalones and see which ones interests me. Thanks!
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

Have you ever read Kate Atkinson's Life After Life? It's set at the end of Victorian Era and beginning of World Wars.

My current favorite historical fiction author is Daisy Goodwin. She is the one behind the Victoria series on PBS and wrote Fortune Hunter and American Heiress.
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

Thank you for the suggestions! I've read several of the books listed and enjoyed them, so it sounds like we have similar taste it books! I'll add a few to the list:

Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (young adult but a great read!)
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
The Invention of WIngs by Sue Monk Kidd
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I love "The War That Saved my Life." It is based in England during WWII and follows the story of a young disabled girl and her brother when they are evacuated from the city to be protected from potential bombings.
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

Fuzaila wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 07:46 What are your favorite historical fiction books? I like books centred around World Wars, set in the real world, focusing on characters who are fictional. My favorites are
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak,
Honolulu by Alan Brennert,
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden,
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
How do you like your historical fiction books? Do you love books set in a particular time in history, but with completely fictional world and characters, like perhaps, And I Darken by kiersten White? Or do you like it when there's some semblance of truth to the fiction? Discussions encouraged!
The book thief is a favourite of mine too! I personally prefer stories that're more rooted in history as I can emphatise with the characters more. If the entirety of the story is fictional, I somehow always convince myself that regardless of the hardships they encounter, "they're just fake characters". It just seems to distance myself from the story a little..
Ceciliakrex
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Justice
Currently Reading: Izzy bitsy spider
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceciliakrex.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ceciliakrex »

I like historical books set in the early centuries. Bible times or the period following. I also like books set during WWII. I am finishing a wonderfully written book set across four generations of Jewish families caught up in Hitlers web. The book is part of a quadrilogy titled Crystal Night by Marc J. Seifer. It is one of my favorites of this period. I'm reviewing it and plan to give it 4 out of 4. I recommend this book to anyone with interest in this history.
ashleyrenee8807
Currently Reading: The Red Tent
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ashleyrenee8807 »

I received a book for my birthday last year called "The House on the Lake. A Story of Germany" - Thomas Harding. It is a pretty big book and took me awhile to read it but I thought it was fascinating! It starts out prewar (which many books just dive right into when Hitler was in power) and walks you throughout the history of this lake house into present day 2003. The author really did his research when talking about the families that resided in this house because I had so many feels. If you like historical fictions I would definitely recommend this book!
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

I really enjoy reading any historical fiction that is set in the 1800’s, during the emigration within the United States to the west. The details of how people lived, struggled and managed to thrive under difficult conditions fascinates me. I love the western lifestyle too. The Cowboy Way. My favorite series is by Sara Donati. The first book in the series is Into the Wilderness. This series is absolutely engrossing.
Orithea
Favorite Author: Jonathan Stroud
Currently Reading: Catalina's Riddle
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orithea.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
fav_author_id: 3854

Post by Orithea »

My favorite historical time period goes way back to Ancient Egypt and Ancient Rome (Caesar! The civil wars! The conscriptions and all those bloody severed heads in the Forum! *ahem*). So rich in drama and fascinating personalities :!:
The good thing about Ancient Rome is that there are so many detailed source texts, including from people who actually lived during the time, for authors to base their research and writing on, so that well-written books feel colorful and authentic.

I have to give a shout-out to my favorite series in this setting,
Roma Sub rosa by Steven Saylor.
They are detective novels set in Rome during the years leading up to the Fall of the Republic, and Saylor puts his background as historian to brilliant use. One of these books is currently traveling along in my backpack for train rides :techie-studyingbrown:
Lia81
Favorite Book: Four Funny Potatoes!
Currently Reading: Mining for Alaskan Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Lia81 »

i liked very muh memoirs of a Geisha because it is time transported to another time and place . it feels like you lived in Japan at that time ,you feel like you are listening and seeing with someonel's ears and eyes . the hero takes you by the hand and leads you into world of eroticism ,enchantement ,exploitation,degradation and disloyalty. Through the narration of an adventurous life of a geisha,Japan's dramatic history and the impacts of the World war are unveiled like it is a half opened window and you take a glimpse of the historical and politcal events that took place then .
Palfree
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Post by Palfree »

I like finding out about strong women that participated in historical events. For years we often didn't know much about these women. I am glad that is staring to change. A few of the books that I have enjoyed are: Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly, America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie, Indigo Girl by Natasha Boyd, The Help by kathryn stockett, and The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.

Return to “Historical Fiction”