Official Review: Broken Arrow Revisited by E.L. Glenn

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Official Review: Broken Arrow Revisited by E.L. Glenn

Post by BriennaiJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Arrow Revisited" by E.L. Glenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Broken Arrow Revisited by E.L. Glenn is a pleasant mixture of both historical and science fiction. Kirk is a Cultural Anthropologist who receives the chance of a lifetime to be able to travel back in time and see one of his most heavily researched tribes with his own two eyes. Cochise and his tribe were a small but powerful aboriginal group in the 1800s. Because of his research, Kirk knows that he could either be landing right before a tragedy occurs, or after the tragedy when Cochise swears to destroy white men. Instead, he basically lands right in the thick of the event. Finding himself amongst people that he had not found in the history books, he creates more connections than he ever thought possible. He finds himself amongst many different people that had not necessarily been put into the history books, and creates more connections than he ever thought possible.

This time travel novel was well-researched and full of life from beginning to end. Every character that Kirk encounters is three-dimensional with his or her own personal character traits. Kirk worries that the tribe might blindly despise him, but even though they do not fully trust him at first, they grow to accept him and end up learning from him.

I hate science fiction that is too technical, where the main character spends pages upon pages describing every little detail of their universe, or explaining the science behind their machines. Luckily, Glenn does not spend pages droning on about the inner workings of the time-travel machine, but instead focuses on describing the people in the tribe and the people who interacted with the tribe. There was some romance in the novel, but it was not the main focus and did not take over the entire storyline. I was truly happy to see a time-travel novel with a responsible main character who didn’t try to change history.

The character development in this novel is impeccable. The main examples of it have huge spoilers, but I will simply say that if you are a person who enjoys to see characters truly learn and grow then you will not be disappointed by reading this novel. Even I was surprised at how some of the characters matured, or even regressed, by the end of the novel. Character development is not always a bad or weak character turning good or strong, and Glenn reminds readers of this.

The world-building of this novel is not lack-luster. I found myself visualizing Kirk learning how to ride a horse, running to save tribe members, and viewing each of the tribe members for the first time. This brought the story to life as it began to play in my head as I continued to read it. It is not so descriptive that it becomes boring, but it does not skimp on description where it counts.

The plot moved smoothly, as the only thing that changed the flow was how fast time was moving. Some parts of the story were of day-to-day life, whereas other parts have time skips of months or a years. This did not negatively affect my reading in any way as the story remained easy to follow. The book also seemed to be professionally edited as I did not notice any grammar or formatting errors.

I rated this novel 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited with smooth writing, descriptive world-building, unique and well-developed characters, and engaging/addictive plot. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction or science fiction, or to anyone who is just looking for a new adventure novel in a fresh and well-written universe.

Broken Arrow Revisited
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like BriennaiJ's review? Post a comment saying so!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a fantastic historical adventure that ticks all the boxes. I’ve always found the idea of time travel and interaction with the past intriguing. Thanks for your informative review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Historical/science fiction, great world-building, wonderful character development, believability, not too much tech speak, and great editing. Your review makes me want to run out and buy this one. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
BriennaiJ
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

joshfee77 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 06:22 Sounds like a fantastic historical adventure that ticks all the boxes. I’ve always found the idea of time travel and interaction with the past intriguing. Thanks for your informative review!
Thanks for commenting! This definitely was an interesting one, mixing historical fiction with time travel science fiction. I hope that you get the chance to read it sometime.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

SamSim wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 08:25 Historical/science fiction, great world-building, wonderful character development, believability, not too much tech speak, and great editing. Your review makes me want to run out and buy this one. Thanks for the recommendation!
Let me know your thoughts on this one if you decide to read it! Thanks for commenting :D
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love the plot of this very interesting book. It sounds like something I would read in the future. Thank you for a great review.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

crediblereading2 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 11:01 I love the plot of this very interesting book. It sounds like something I would read in the future. Thank you for a great review.
Thanks for commenting! The plot was definitely addictive.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The travel back of time to a fight between two races take place and you fall right between, well that is unexpected. Sounds a new read to me even though I can remember of watching a movie some what related to this story line. It is interesting to make new connections and to know people. Thank you for sharing this book through your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

I am intrigued by this story. Cochise an Apache Chief along with the Apache people were the last to get forced onto reservations. I wonder how Kirk and the Apache will evolve in this story. I am glad that the author did not try to change the past. I am curious how accurate his Native American facts are, especially that of the Apache. I intend to add this to my bookshelf. Thank you for your informative review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that this wasn't too technical as I don't understand too much of that. This doesn't seem to be a typical time travel novel, but it has some unique aspects. Those make me want to read this.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 21:24 The travel back of time to a fight between two races take place and you fall right between, well that is unexpected. Sounds a new read to me even though I can remember of watching a movie some what related to this story line. It is interesting to make new connections and to know people. Thank you for sharing this book through your review!
Thanks for commenting! If you remember the name of the movie, please tell me. I would definitely like to watch a movie with a storyline like this one! I would recommend this if you enjoy this sort of story, it was definitely an invigorating read.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

arcie72 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 22:52 I am intrigued by this story. Cochise an Apache Chief along with the Apache people were the last to get forced onto reservations. I wonder how Kirk and the Apache will evolve in this story. I am glad that the author did not try to change the past. I am curious how accurate his Native American facts are, especially that of the Apache. I intend to add this to my bookshelf. Thank you for your informative review.
I don't personally know that much about Native American history, but if you know a lot, I would definitely be interesting in your thoughts about this book. Thanks for commenting!
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 18:01 I'm glad that this wasn't too technical as I don't understand too much of that. This doesn't seem to be a typical time travel novel, but it has some unique aspects. Those make me want to read this.
I would definitely recommend it! I personally hate technical science fiction. Or science fiction that has too much military. Both of these make me not read a lot of the space/alien science fiction out there. It just gets too technical. Thanks for commenting!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I've never really been interested in historical fiction but your review is great and it's got me in the mood to read this book. Really great review. Will add this to my to-read list.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

JR Mercier wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 05:41 I've never really been interested in historical fiction but your review is great and it's got me in the mood to read this book. Really great review. Will add this to my to-read list.
Thank you for commenting! I hope that you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”