Official Review: The Cruel Romance by Marina Osipova

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Official Review: The Cruel Romance by Marina Osipova

Post by Helpme71 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cruel Romance" by Marina Osipova.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cruel Romance by Marina Osipova is a historical fiction novel set in Soviet Russia during World War Two. The story centers around Serafima, a young Russian girl who is in love with a young Soviet officer named Victor. During the course of the novel, Serafima endures many hardships, such as the Germans occupying her village and having to work in the factory while the Soviet men continue to fight against Nazi fascists. Osipova did a wonderful job with telling Serafima's story, backing it with accurate historical information about the war and the daily lives of ordinary people.

One of the things I most loved about this novel was the fact that Osipova began with a foreword to explain the mechanics and importance of Russian names. When I read Russian names, I often become confused because there are many different names for the same person, and it is difficult for me to keep track of which character is called by which names. Osipova's explanation of how names and nicknames work in Russian made it so much easier for me to understand which character was being addressed, and I was actually able to enjoy the novel because of the clarification on names.

Another thing I enjoyed was the way Osipova developed her characters. Because the novel takes place over a span of years, it is only natural that the characters should change instead of being static. Yet, I feel that Osipova's development of her characters was distinct from other historical fiction novels. While reading, I felt that I could identify with Serafima as the main character, reading as she grew and transitioned over the course of the novel. Even Serafima's mother, Glafira, underwent character development during the novel, which I was surprised at. I honestly wasn't expecting her to change, and yet she did. It was a pleasant surprise for me as the reader.

As wonderful as the novel was, I did have one area of concern while reading. Osipova likes to switch between character perspectives, which is fine. However, the book is only broken up into two parts: during the war and after the war. Other than those two parts, there are no chapter titles, which made it jarring to switch between character perspectives. For me, it would have eased the transition between perspectives if Osipova had indicated with a title or heading when the perspective is changing, instead of switching perspectives with no warning.

Despite the area of concern I previously mentioned, I thought the book was wonderful. The ending was a surprise since I wasn't expecting it to happen that particular way, and I was brought to tears at how Osipova wrapped up Serafima's story. Therefore, I have to give The Cruel Romance a 4 out of 4 stars. From beginning to end, I was mesmerized by Serafima and her struggles during the war, and I loathed to put the book down!

A word of caution, though, for readers who are disturbed by certain content. This book contains some adult themes, including graphic violence, implied rape, thoughts of suicide, and attempted or successful suicide. If these themes disturb you, then this is not a good book for you. However, if you are a fan of historical fiction, and you are looking for a novel that is well-researched and centers around World War Two and the aftermath, then you will enjoy this book.

The Cruel Romance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helpme71's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I enjoy books that are centered around WWI and WWII I might just have to check this one out. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like war related book. I know the current events are bad but they always have a way of maintaining my interest because it is a real read. No matter how much you read about them each person has a different story to tell. Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I don't know if I would like the switching in perspectives without warning. But, this sounds like a good book in describing how was effects people. Thanks for the review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds like a good book but probably not one I will read. I tend to steer more toward historical fiction centered around monarchs. I have a weird fascination with the historical royals (mostly of Europe). I'm not a huge fan of war-time fiction.

I too have struggled with who is who when Russian characters are included in a book. Their names get long and I am unfamiliar with the titles they use. That is a great piece that you included in your review.

I am glad you enjoyed this book so much.
Lizzy Gentle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lizzy Gentle »

Wow what a nice book i think it will also help up-coming writers. Keep up the good work
Salami Al-amin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Salami Al-amin »

Historical Fiction helps see the life of the past.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

You made a good observation about the switching of perspectives. It seems logical to make a chapter break at those points. In spite of this issue, I would like to read this book. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Historical Fiction”