Official Review: Before We Died by Joan Schweighardt

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Re: Official Review: Before We Died by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love historical fiction, and I really know nothing about the era of the rubber boom. Still, the idea of following the Hopper brothers in their quest doesn't really catch my eye; perhaps, reading the sample might change my opinion. Thanks for the review though.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Kimberly Grow »

After reading the sample, I find that this is not the book for me. I generally love historical fiction and adventure, but I couldn't get into the story. The boys are interesting enough, though that is all I can take from it. Your review is a great one and tells me what I was already feeling in that the violence would be too much. Thank you for the wonderful review.
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Couldn't help but be intrigued in the Irish words used that enhanced the writing. Sounds like an awesome adventure during the rubber boom. Also intrigued at how such an era be an adventure. Your review is enlightening, thanks!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

It will be fun following Jack and Bax on their adventures. Historical fiction novels are among my favorites.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I would read this to know a bit about the origin of rubber and it's harvesting. Thanks for the review.
Esther womulabira
Currently Reading: The Life and Times of a Black Prince in America
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-womulabira.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther womulabira »

Official review of Before we Died by Joan Schweighardt
I like historical fiction thought the earlier part of this novel set in jungles does not appeal to me. Most of the review captured the aspirations and realistic expectations of the two main characters. Although the reviewer says that the characters, style and plot blend well I did not get much about the plot in the review. And perhaps that's good because that, more than anything else mentioned, makes me want to read the whole book.
My curiosity is aroused by this review. Thank you.
EWomulabira
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

I love historical fiction, and I really know nothing about the era of the rubber boom. Still, the idea of following the Hopper brothers in their quest doesn't really catch my eye; perhaps, reading the sample might change my opinion. Congrats on BOTD though.
Pascal1992
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pascal1992 »

Before we died is an adventure novel that has brought my attention to historical fiction, Joan Schweighardt has brought a wonderful play in this Novel as the Author by giving the readers a glimpse of unforgettable expedition that takes the readers unto the world of Fantasy.

Basically, i can refer the Author as a brilliant narrator and at the same time Fiction adventure. I highly rate this book, Before we died by Joan Schweighardt
Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Elsereen »

historical novels like this are always intriguing and amazing I would definitely like to check out this one too. it's a nice review you have wrote.
Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Elsereen »

historical novels like this are always intriguing and amazing I would definitely like to check out this one too. it's a nice review you have wrote.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Definitely sounds like an well written story. I love when an author takes the time with research and intertwine real life scenery, or events while developing characters, it allows reader to connect more to the story. This is not a topic of interest for me , so I probably wont read this one, but it does sound full of emotion, sadness and some humor that man will enjoy. Congratulations on BOTD.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I just love stories that involve an expedition to learn, innovate and make a fortune in the process. On a family level it is even more inspiring and ideal. Love the review. Kudos.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

Although adventure novels aren't my cup of tea, I love historical fiction with some literary elements to it. I know pretty much nothing about the rubber boom, so this could be an interesting learning experience for me as well. The fact that it is a trilogy makes me very curious as to how the book is set up to have a sequel, considering I've come across very few historical fiction novels that have been a part of a series. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I am a fan of historical fiction, but the book stopped me right on my tracks with the curse words. I am not entirely sure if in 1908 people knew the word 'fu**'.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Chiloba
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chiloba »

BEFORE WE DIED by Joan Schweighardt is a great novel based on American historical fiction. The historical perspective of this novel is so engaging as it talks about the two brothers who left their jobs on the docks of New Jersey to become rubber tappers in South America in 1908 being part of the reason was to get over the death of their beloved father, leaving behind their grieving mother and also Nora.
The novel basically revolves on about the South American rubber boom which unleashes a lot of American mysteries but also the heart of the story is about the brotherhood bond between them and how it is impacted by the incredible things that happen to them in their environment. I like this book so much would rate it at 4 . So awesome as i enjoy its fiction flow much.

Return to “Historical Fiction”