Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by PGreen »

I only looked at this review because this book is book of the month; otherwise, the title of the book itself did not capture me. But now I am reconsidering!! Combining plot line in a foreign location like Egypt in the 1940s is my favorite way to learn about other cultures and settings, especially if the author has conducted thorough research. I will consider reading this one.
jade kylander
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade-kylander.html
Latest Review: Voice of the Elders by Greg Ripley

Post by jade kylander »

I don't know, I don't really like historical fiction that much anymore. Maybe it's because there's just too many of the same type of stories out there.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I'm definitely going to give this one a try ...especially after your glowing review. I'm not big in to historical fiction, but I'm trying to broaden my horizon. This seems like a good book to start with.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

The Warramunga's War is very evocative of the era. The combination of Britisi and Australian slang, and the pigin English of Sarah and Jacko is really entertaining. The tracking that Sarah does is exciting and her character is full of fun and always giggling. The setting is wartime, but the characterization and relationship of the team is the best part. Thanks for your review. It was very helpful.
Cheshire_wolf
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Favorite Book: Allison's Adventures in Underland
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire-wolf.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

kandscreeley wrote: โ†‘24 Mar 2018, 19:13 I like books set in that time period. The title just isn't descriptive enough for me to have picked this up on my own. But now that you have introduced it to me and given it a high rating, I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
I agree about the title, it was both intriguing and off-putting at the same time. I'm not much of a history buff, however, you've made this review sound intriguing even to my own skeptic mind. I guess I shall too add it to my list to read at a later date. :tiphat:
๐ŸŒบ๐”„๐”ฐ๐”ญ๐”ข๐”ซ ๐”Š๐”ž๐”ฏ๐”ซ๐”ข๐”ฏ๐ŸŒบ
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

The title of the book isn't very intriguing, but your review compelled me to read the sample of the book, and I must say I'm definitely interested and want to read the entire book!
"Growth is the essence of life."
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Not really a fan of War Stories, but this one seems to be an exception to the rule. Thanks for making me see it from another point of view, not only as one pertaining to war but one that promotes true, unconventional friendship, devotion and team work from our main characters James and Jack. Thanks for an awesome review! Congratulations to the author as well for making it to our February #BOTM๐ŸŽ‰
mihaela_bartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihaela-bartha.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by mihaela_bartha »

It seems that the review is just as compelling as the reviewed. I appreciate the observations regarding writing style. I believe it is easy to focus a review on the content of the book and to consider the content in a very narrow perspective. Good writing is more than just delivering a good story, plot-wise, it is about the way the story is told. I appreciate this review as being top quality and therefore I trust the recommendation. Thank you, Rosemary.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfriedโ€™s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

My taste in books has been changing for a while now, and your fantastic review is opening me up to the idea of testing historical fiction by giving The Warramunga's War a chance-- if it's not too graphic. Books with a war theme tend to leave me in a bit of a mental slump, especially if there's no warm-hearted, happy ending. And I'm a little concerned that this book might leave me in such a state, because it's the first book of a trilogy, and happy endings don't usually happen in the first book of a trilogy. It's either a sad ending or a cliffhanger, sometimes both. The fact that it's based 'loosely' on fact doesn't mean much to my preciously pathetic, little heart, either. But you really have done a brilliant job of writing a review that entices me, and I'm going to check it out.

Well done :)
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This looks like an exceptional historical fiction. I like the historical setting of the story.
Cheshire_wolf
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Favorite Book: Allison's Adventures in Underland
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire-wolf.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

Miriam Molina wrote: โ†‘25 Mar 2018, 23:19 Another war story! I wonder if there is a single nation out there that has never seen war. From Google, I found an article written in 2016 featuring "the world's most peaceful countries: The 10 countries currently not involved in conflicts or wars." Interestingly, Japan and Vietnam are two of them. The Japanese and Vietnamese have learned the lessons well.

I have scant knowledge about wars but would be open to reading this book, especially with the wonderful review. Jacko and Jamie seem to be characters worth spending time with.
It doesn't surprise me about Japan.
I'm also very scant on the knowledge of wars even though my husband loves them and I was in the military, this book does sound like a good one to try out. Thank you for your review.
๐ŸŒบ๐”„๐”ฐ๐”ญ๐”ข๐”ซ ๐”Š๐”ž๐”ฏ๐”ซ๐”ข๐”ฏ๐ŸŒบ
Annie_Pea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie-pea.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Annie_Pea »

This could be an historical fiction that I would read since it entails suspense and romance which is kind of unusual for this genre. Greg seems to have done a great job on keeping his readers interested, for one thing, being fast pace certainly will make it different from anything that is usually found when watching a movie about history on television. The characters sound interesting to, and the fact that this is a war novel makes it even less intriguing when thinking of reading it. After reading this reviewer I would consider giving The Warramunga's War, a read.
dinark-audu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dinark-audu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by dinark-audu »

I'll have to politely decline because war books are not for me. But I'll recommend for people who like war books
Creator22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creator22.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Creator22 »

The guitar sheet was a nice add on to the story. I like a little bit of historical fiction but war isn't exactly what I'd enjoy. It Seems like a great story in a great setting as Egypt is quite interesting. Thank you for your well-written review.
tiyamalik
Favorite Book: The Invisible Realm
Currently Reading: We are Blood and Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiyamalik.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by tiyamalik »

Never been much of a 'historical-fiction' fan but your review has me enticed. Definitely going on the reading list.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to โ€œHistorical Fictionโ€