Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by nooregano »

I've never been really drawn to historical fiction, and the title of this book might have actually put me off. The main themes of the book that you mentioned might have put me off too. What piqued my interest was that the plot was well laid out and the characters are well-written! It's normally hard for me to find a book that balances out a good plot and manages to have realistic characters and vice versa. Thanks for the review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Res Alexis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Res Alexis »

It is quite clear that Rosemary loves sightseeing even when it has to be imaginary. I had the opportunity to review the book and the story clearly demonstrated that a pen is mightier than a sword,patience pays,no one is an island,a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.Like Rosemary,I noticed that dedication is a virtual trait employed in the story.
Delightsome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delightsome.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Delightsome »

The Warramunga's War, written by Greg Kater, is a historical fiction. I recommend it to those who love reading about war.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

While I am not too particular about historical fiction, I do love books about war and crime. I may find this book enchanting.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
teresao
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teresao.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by teresao »

It sounds like a great read with a little something for everyone. I like historical fiction and action, but I really appreciate a bit of romance in the mix. I'm looking forward to reading it.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

This book sounds so interesting! I have visited Egypt, and I love reading fiction based in places that I have seen with my own eyes. I will have to check this one out!
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by linham02660 »

I don't usually read war stories but your review makes it sounds pretty good. I have a fascination with everything of Egypt. I will give the book a read. Thanks for the great review.
Valery_gabriela
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valery_gabriela »

I like books set in that time period. The title just isn't descriptive enough for me to have picked this up on my own. But now that you have introduced it to me and given it a high rating, I'll have to look into it. Thanks. :techie-studyingbrown: :evil2:
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

This book sounds like fun. The historical setting appeals to me, but the two main characters do not. Are there any women in the book at all?
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

Historical fiction isn't really my type of book, however from the review, the author seems to have done a great job.
tayjayfo
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayjayfo.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by tayjayfo »

I have never read a historical fiction book. I am more of a science fiction and fantasy fan. This review is great! It makes me want to read the book even though I'm not a fan of historical fiction. Who knows? Maybe I will become one. Any sci fi fans enjoy this book? Is it fast paced?
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 19:13 I like books set in that time period. The title just isn't descriptive enough for me to have picked this up on my own. But now that you have introduced it to me and given it a high rating, I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
You are right. The title isn't enough to pick the book but the review invites the reader to.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This sounds like a very fun book! I hope to be able to read it soon as I love books the blend genres and incorporate lots of different themes like this one seems to, according to this review.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

This review gives an apt idea of the story. The characters are wonderfully created to be realistic. They do not fit one mold. Jacko is the most prominent comic relief and yet he is intelligent and not easily deceived. He seems to take the most active role in following their targets. That they connect this to his Indigenous roots from his Warramunga tribe in Australia, is really interesting. This book seems to pull all kinds of things together: roots, nationalities, loyalties, comedy, tragedy. It is also a very interesting platform for WWII that is rarely discussed, the war in the expanded territories. The effects of WWII in Africa are almost never talked about and I have never read a story based on it. All in all, wonderful book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

My taste in books has been changing for a while now, and your fantastic review is opening me up to the idea of testing historical fiction by giving The Warramunga's War a chance-- if it's not too graphic. Books with a war theme tend to leave me in a bit of a mental slump, especially if there's no warm-hearted, happy ending. And I'm a little concerned that this book might leave me in such a state, because it's the first book of a trilogy, and happy endings don't usually happen in the first book of a trilogy. It's either a sad ending or a cliffhanger, sometimes both. The fact that it's based 'loosely' on fact doesn't mean much to my preciously pathetic, little heart, either. But you really have done a brilliant job of writing a review that entices me, and I'm going to check it out.

Well done. :)

Return to “Historical Fiction”