Official Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds too good to be true. I love historical fantasy, and Catrin's strong character is very appealing. I would prefer if the first book of a series with a strong female protagonist didn't focus so much on romance, but even the romance in this book seems enchanting enough to enhance rather than detract from the overall read. Thank you for the thorough and helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
akiknight8
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by akiknight8 »

I really like the twist and the part where the story has a forbidden love. I really love the historic content of this story and even the mysticism of the story, it's like I am really inside the story and seeing what they are doing, i can felt the excitement for more and even i can feel the emotions within the story . 4 out of 4 stars :wink: :)
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

Despite my love for mythological novels, romantic element of the novel does not appeal me. Though princess's mystical powers and a strong female character enticed me, power struggle and romance between Caitrin and Marcellus dissipated my interest in the novel.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

The genre is historical fiction. The story involves mythology and love story. Since I'm not interested in books that has romance, I'll pass this one. congrats on BOTD.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story sounds intriguing with well researched historical events. Though I am not interested in it. Great review
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Emmanuel Oseghale
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel Oseghale »

Its a novel that has a lot of interesting and fascinating epilogue but something I dont seems to understand is that princess catrin has mystical power but her half brother marrock whose intention was to ascend the does not have a mystical power.... Well Its a very intriguing story. Kudos to LINNEA TANNER
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Building a fictional universe based on history, creating characters that ring true and plotting events on an epic scale are the stuff of great novels. Congratulations to Linnea Tanner for Apollo's Raven, the debut effort in a series with the second soon to be out. Cristinaro provides a heartfelt endorsement and comprehensive review of the book necessary for a reader being initiated to the epic universe and adventures of our heroine, Catrin. Catrin's world is set in 24 AD, the time of the ancient Roman empire and ancient Britain. Ancient history has always fascinated me and such time is perfect for weaving stories out of myths, mystery, magic, mysticism and legendary people. Catrin, endowed with magical abilities that include seeing through a raven's eyes, must help protect the kingdom of her father, King Amren, from the aggression of the Romans in connivance with Catrin's banished half-brother Marrock. But she eventually falls in love with Marcellius, son of a Roman senator. Apollo's Raven is about the conflict between their love affair on one hand, and their duty and loyalty to their respective kingdoms. Love is huge but so are duty and loyalty to one's country in trouble. In a few hundred pages, we would know the choices to be made by Catrin and Marceillius. I'm rooting for Catrin to emerge as a true leader.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. Featuring mystical adventures and a forbidden romance, this book looks like one I'd enjoy. Thanks for the review.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

A book dealing with animals guides, a shapeshifter and mythology is definitely my cup of tea. I liked your insight about the book highlighting how to rewrite history through fiction. Your review was very detailed and well-written. Thank you.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

Thanks for your detailed review. This sounds like a well-written and thoroughly-researched novel full of strong characters. It seems the author did a good job with the storyline.
Joak25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Joak25 »

Forbidden love, deceit, politics, revenge, culture, magic, what else will anyone ask for. I will be running to the book afterbthis because it has everything u need in a book. Kudos for this review
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aditi1992 »

The story of forbidden love..Vow!! This book is the historical fantasy novel which is also a love story between the princess Catrin and Marcellus. The elements of fantasy in the novel drew my attention as I am a lover of fantasy novels. Worth a read!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I have read many historical fantasy novels and I have to say, this sounds like it ranks among the best of them. I love when history and myth intertwine...it makes for such an interesting and multilayered story. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Ogesho
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ogesho »

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner being historical book not interested and not my fan.
Eyabi Mensah Gbevi
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Eyabi Mensah Gbevi »

Well I think this is a very good book...everything seems perfectly in place...and I really like it..there a mixture of romance politics and anything that make s a book beautiful in its own way...
And that's unique...

Return to “Historical Fiction”