Official Review: Five years on Pelion, Ten years at Troy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Five years on Pelion, Ten years at Troy

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Five years on Pelion, Ten years at Troy" by Will Roberts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Five Years on Pellion, Ten Years at Troy is an epic historical fiction book. The author, Will Roberts, has brought Greek mythology to life in this engrossing tale. The story is written from the viewpoint of two minor heroes, Epistrophus and Schedius.

Iphitus, the prince of Phocis, is to embark on a perilous voyage with Jason and the Argonauts. Jason's mission is to retrieve the legendary Golden Fleece in Colchis. Iphitus has arranged for his sons, Epistrophus and Schedius, to remain in Pelion and train under the guidance of Cheiron. Cheiron is a well-renowned teacher and healer. At Cheiron's cave, the boys meet Achilles, another of Cheiron's students. Young Achilles never ceases to amaze the brothers with his strength, skill, and valour. Soon, the three of them form close bonds. Cheiron, who possesses the gift of prophesying, foretells that the boys will partake in the greatest war the world has ever witnessed. This coming war is to be so great that poets and bards will sing about it long after its occurrence.

The book is divided into two parts. The first part covers Epistrophus and Schedius' training in Pelion. The second part occurs years later and covers the great war at Troy. The two parts compliment each other nicely. The first part prepares readers for the second part - where most of the action occurs. For example, as Cheiron instructs the boys, he teaches them about Greek history, legends, gods, and heroes. These tales serve to introduce readers who lack a background in Greek mythology to the various myths and legends. Thus, when the action occurred in the second part, I was acquainted with some of the heroes and their history.

Most of the book is from the viewpoint of Schedius. He takes on different roles - a son, younger brother, husband, father, and warrior. These roles made him more human, more relatable. As a minor hero, he has no vanity and carries a great sense of awe for most of his fellow Greeks. Reading about these Greek heroes from his viewpoint enabled me to feel the same kind of admiration. Thus, imagining the battles by these legends was so much more thrilling!

During the war at Troy, the number of characters increases greatly. Thankfully, the author uses clear, simple language throughout the book. Otherwise, I would have been confused with trying to figure out who is who. I feel that these characters all play pivotal roles, although some only appear in a few paragraphs. They all help in the outworking of the plot.

I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed this book, but that would only spoil it! I recommend it without reserve. Sadly, I cannot give it a perfect rating due to a couple of spelling errors. Hence, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Five years on Pelion, Ten years at Troy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Epic fiction isn't really my genre. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It seems like it would be good for those that really go for that thing in spite of the minor spelling errors. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Troy war lasted for 10 years, known for been the longest war in history. Troy has its epic tales about great warriors like Achilles and Hector. Very fascinating historical story. I am glad you found this book very entertaining despite it's errors. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Mythology has always been one of my favorite subjects (not to mention Jason and the Argonauts being one of my favorite stories) and I love that this book includes other characters, special to this tome. I look forward to checking it out. Thanks for the introduction.
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Iamsofia »

I'll try to read the book. I really do not care much about little errors in a book. Thanks for the review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I really enjoy books that are written around mythology, especially if they bring something new or special to the table.
thanks for your review.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Epic fiction stole my heart from the first time I have been introduced to it. Ma'am this is a commendable review, looking forward to reading this book!
eron nixon arikai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eron nixon arikai »

I am convinced to read more about Troy and the war . It inspires me to read more and other histories like Heaven is Real and etc .
I enjoy to be part of the book club .
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Hmm, I'm torn about this one. Not sure if I could get into an epic fiction novel, but maybe I'll give it a try! Thanks for the review!
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Thanks for your review! I love mythology but have only ever read history books about it or else the mythological tales themselves. This, however, sounds completely amazing!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I rather OD'd on classical mythology in my childhood, so I won't seek this one out - but your review makes me think I should give it a go, if I ever run across it in the library.

Return to “Historical Fiction”