Official Review: 'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda'

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Omega2001
Favorite Book: The Darkest Night
Currently Reading: The Darkest Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 17

Re: Official Review: 'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda'

Post by Omega2001 »

A historical fiction book about 2 women who embark on a journey to the New World. A well-written story, I love how it describes the places and characters. The review helped me know more about the story and how it unfolds, but for the few sample chapters I read I don't feel the descriptions are read like a textbook. However, is a great review.
I like historical books, so I'd like to read it.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love historical fiction. This isn't a time period I normally explore, but the promise of it being about women who had progressive mindsets for that time holds a lot of promise for me. I cringe at the thought of what might happen to them for being progressive women in the 17th century United States, but that's part of the intrigue. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

The technical errors make me reluctant to pick this up. Great review though!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like that the book deals with the pioneering years of the founding of America. I look forward to reading it.
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

I've never read any historical book before and I thought I want to try one but after I read the review I don't think this book is my cup of tea. Not just because of bad editing, but I'm not into feminism. I'm more focus on strong characters regardless of gender than the power of gender itself. Thank you for gave us such an honest review.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Pity about the speedy conclusions. At first I was drawn when you said it’s about women empowerment but the plot seemed to lack some profound elements. I don’t also like reading about violence and sexual abuse so I think I’m gonna skip this one. Thanks for your enlightening review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Historical Fiction”