Official Review: The Last Soldier by Marsha Landreth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gaia_Pitagoras
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Official Review: The Last Soldier by Marsha Landreth

Post by Gaia_Pitagoras »

The review without spoilers definitely awaken inside me the eager to read this book, a female spy in WWII that is also a doctor intrigues me and I think is a fresh idea about the ways on how someone can spy. It doesn't give the reader any spoiler of the true content of the book. and that makes me want to read the book asap.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The fact that the book focuses on a lone spy living amidst German gestapo and different perspective on world war 2 makes it interesting. Great review
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

This is quite an interesting historical fiction novel. I did not know that the Germans had occupied the Channel Islands in World War II. I am quite eager to learn how Maggie and her father dealt with the situation.
Maria_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maria_123 »

The Last Soldier by Marsha Landreth is a very compelling story. It has a strong social context that takes you to see the events happening from another perspective than what it is usually thought. The fact that the protagonist was a women that made such a great impact, this leads to being able to experience a new point of view on the situation during the WWII. The style of narration, which is narrated from the point of view of the protagonist makes it even more interesting. This story is revolutionary and actually makes the reader think and analyse through the whole passage. It is refreshing and captivating the power that the story gives to women, which is what is needed nowadays. The fact that the girl was a spy inspires young women to pursue powerful positions where they are not only seem as strong but also capable.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

The title of the book seems really intriguing and based on the review it does fit the story a lot. I love to read historical fit and especially the ones with female protaginists. This seems to be a good read for me.I am really eager to read it.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Historical fiction can be a bit hit or miss for me, but I think that this sounds like something that I would want to read.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the review! Maggie's story will be be full of adventures, I am sure. However, I am not interested in reading a book based on WWII. So I might skip this one.
Ricky 7
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ricky-7.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ricky 7 »

Nice review , seems like this one is a must in my library.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Official Review: The Last Soldier by Marsha Landreth well expresses the elegant theme of the story of a woman spying! I would love to read the book after going through the review! The main parts of the story have been emphasized in the review! I find the story relatable to life for a common man as well!
Last edited by Surabhi Rani on 26 Mar 2020, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I really dislike historical fiction, and I especially don't want to read a tale taking place during WWII, so this book's a strong 'no' for me.
MimiMancio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MimiMancio »

Your review is very helpful. It made the book more enticing to read. The book's plot is very interesting as a whole. From history that we've read, most women's are only expected to stay at home and wait for the uncertain return of their loved ones who had to be sent to war. But in this book, the female protagonist herself decided to be part of that war as a spy in order to save her father. I've also read a snippet of the book, and it's really promising to read.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

I enjoy historical fiction, especially those centered around WWII. The premise sounds intriguing. Maggie as a lone spy, reporting back to the British on the activities of the German Gestapo. To have the characters well fleshed out and realistic, and great character development, makes this a must read for me. Thank you for this great review.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

A story about WWII and a female spy. Surely this book is worth reading. Thanks for your review!
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

The book sounds intriguing and Maggie's struggle as a spy would be interesting to watch. The line you quoted was so funny, I had tears in my eyes from the laughter. Thank you for the review.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I read a few historical fictions about WWII, but none that would highlight a spy woman. Although this premise sounds quite unique and interesting, I'm not sure I would like to read about wars right now. However, I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “Historical Fiction”