Call the midwife triology -Jennifer Worth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amerz13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Call the midwife triology -Jennifer Worth

Post by Amerz13 »

WARNING-books contain upsetting content
After watching the Tv series Call The Midwife for a number of years I thought that I would discover where the story comes from. I started my journey reading the first book of the series which is called. Call The Midwife, written by Jennifer Worth. This book really opened my eyes as I realised that what I saw on tv was nothing like the real experience.

As I am only 15 I found a lot of the context unusual but it made me want to read more. This is when I moved onto the second book in the series Children Of The Workhouse. I found this book more challenging as I am a child myself which made the stories more heartbreaking. However I was hooked from the first page as the book was finished within 2 days.

After reading two books on the life of Jennifer I was sad to see that the series was ending. When reading Farewell To The Eastend I felt that the story was unfinished and still wanted to know more. I was disappointed when finishing the series as I felt that there was much more that I could've learnt.

Overall I believe that the Call The Midwife books are one of the best experiences that a young adult could go through. Although it is meant for older adults, I believe that for a young adult it will make them realise how lucky they are to be living in the 21st century.
Claraloise

Post by Claraloise »

I need to read this book. It concerns me a lot.
Nancyphilip

Post by Nancyphilip »

Nice book
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Have only read the first book so far - to be honest, a friend gave it to me and I didn't want to be rude and not read it, but it's not generally my 'scene' - however, I found I enjoyed it a great deal. I liked the fact that the nuns were portrayed in a favourable light - don't get me wrong, I KNOW all manner of wrong things happened and maybe still do happen in religious institutions but it's good to remember many of the women (and men) concerned were decent and caring. I especially like Chummy and the Spanish lady with the massive family!
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I have seen the show, it's very good. i never knew it was based off of a book series. Interesting! . I think i may check it out just to see some of the differences.
TGreg02
Currently Reading: A Horse Called Hero
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by TGreg02 »

I like watching the Call the Midwife series on tv and dvd. I will have to look for the books, they sound interesting to read. Thanks for the information and I will add it to my bookshelf.

Return to “Historical Fiction”