Official Review: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gideon: The Sound and The Glory" by Joseph Ganci.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gideon: The Sound and The Glory by Joseph Ganci is a fascinating novel that retells stories from the Old Testament of the Bible. Written in the third person perspective, the book alternates between various characters.

While the main story is about Gideon, the book is split between five parts and delves into the time before and after Gideon’s life. The first part is about Barak and his quest to get rid of Jabin, the king of Canaan. The second part is about Gideon and his quest in freeing Israel from the Midianites. The third part is about Abimelech, Gideon’s son, and his quest to become king. The fourth part is about Eli, the Ephod of Gold, and the Ark of the Covenant. The fifth part is about David and his life before he became the king of Israel.

Gideon is called by God from his life as a woodcutter to become the commander of the Israelite army. At first he is doubtful that he could ever drive the Midianites out, but his faith and trust in God allows him to grow more confident in his quest. Gideon creates an object, known as the Ephod of Gold, that brings misfortune and evil to those who misuse it. The Ephod of Gold is passed from Abimelech to Eli and from Eli to David. Each of these characters has a major role to play as they struggle between their will or God’s will.

Although the book takes stories from the Bible, particularly from the Book of Judges, the author does a great job in retelling them. Growing up as a Christian, I was familiar with most of characters and stories in the book, but they are so much more detailed than the ones in the Bible. I like how the author took a few stories from the Bible and expanded it into a more detailed account of each character. The characters were also well developed and realistic. Gideon’s progression from being doubtful to being confident made him one of the most relatable characters.

In the second part, it is mentioned that Gideon was the son of Joash, but in the first part it only mentioned that Joash had three sons and none of them were named Gideon. I was confused on why it wasn't mentioned in the first part that Joash had another son named Gideon.

I noticed a few grammatical errors, but they didn't detract from the book. The theme of good vs. evil is portrayed all throughout the novel. It was easy to see that the author is very knowledgeable about the Book of Judges. Even if you are not familiar with the Old Testament, it was easy to follow the stories from character to character.

Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I throughly enjoyed reading this book. The author created a new and more detailed perspective of the Old Testament stories. The scenes leading up to the battle scenes made the book more suspenseful, and the amount of action was well mixed with the development of each character. I recommend this book to those who like to read historical fiction novels, especially novels based off of the Bible.

Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This book sounds really interesting. I like that the author took stories directly from the Bible but expands upon them and really gives the characters life. Will have to put this one on my 'to read' shelf!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

MarisaRose wrote:This book sounds really interesting. I like that the author took stories directly from the Bible but expands upon them and really gives the characters life. Will have to put this one on my 'to read' shelf!
Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like a pretty good book. It's nice to be able to figure out exactly how the characters lived in the Bible days. It sounds like the author does a good job of sticking to the original story though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:It does sound like a pretty good book. It's nice to be able to figure out exactly how the characters lived in the Bible days. It sounds like the author does a good job of sticking to the original story though. Thanks for the review.
Thanks!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I think this book will be to my liking to know more about biblical characters in expanded dimensions. Kudos for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I have read Judges a few times so this book sounds really appealing to me. Great review.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Jaime Lync wrote:I have read Judges a few times so this book sounds really appealing to me. Great review.
Thanks!

-- 02 Jun 2017, 17:28 --
Chrys Brobbey wrote:I think this book will be to my liking to know more about biblical characters in expanded dimensions. Kudos for a good review.
Thanks for reading!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a great book for religious readers who enjoy fictional stories! I like that the book is one even non religious readers can enjoy.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Amagine wrote:This sounds like a great book for religious readers who enjoy fictional stories! I like that the book is one even non religious readers can enjoy.

Great Review! ?
It's a great book to read overall. Thanks for the comment!
TheDeadReader
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by TheDeadReader »

This is an thoughtful thing for God that makes us born bring foods and keep us alive even if it is a fictional genre this really deserve the perfect 4 stars it really can be enjoyed by readers
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

TheDeadReader wrote:This is an thoughtful thing for God that makes us born bring foods and keep us alive even if it is a fictional genre this really deserve the perfect 4 stars it really can be enjoyed by readers
Thanks!
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

The review is good and the book looks good. All it needs is for me to buy and read Gideon: The Sound and The Glory.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Chitopogi wrote:The review is good and the book looks good. All it needs is for me to buy and read Gideon: The Sound and The Glory.
Thanks for reading!
Mrsbellaz
Currently Reading: Who told you that you were naked
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbellaz.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Mrsbellaz »

I love it when an author takes a biblical story and brings it to life. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for the awesome review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Historical Fiction”