Official Review: Chameleons by Marcus A. Nannini

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Re: Official Review: Chameleons by Marcus A. Nannini

Post by Scerakor »

PassingGrade wrote:I just finished Chameleons and have to go back and read some of it again just for the way it took me to places I have never been. Loved the character development and how they all intertwined and the newspaper reporter! I am glad the author put in a bit about her background as it made me feel less disgusting about her. The ending caught me off-guard, but loved it.
I understand completely ... the way the author was able to transport us to places (and times) that I can only imagine was great. Thanks for the comment.
TableMesa
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... meleons</a>
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TableMesa »

I finished this amazing book last night. It was a father's day present and the best I have received in years!
I felt I was part of the story from the opening scene...I could swear I could feel the vibrations coming through the hull, the sweet aroma of the pacific and on and on. It was as if I was reading a movie. The characters were extremely well set forth and it seemed as if every character, no matter how small the part might have initially seemed, fit into a larger cog...right down to the two Honolulu detectives. I have to say I never saw the ending coming and after reading about the forthcoming books from this author I realized he introduced future antagonists within the book itself. Well done.
My wife is reading it now and just put off breakfast as she doesn't want to put it down. Thanks for a great book...one destined to be on the book shelves for decades to come.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

TableMesa wrote:I finished this amazing book last night. It was a father's day present and the best I have received in years!
I felt I was part of the story from the opening scene...I could swear I could feel the vibrations coming through the hull, the sweet aroma of the pacific and on and on. It was as if I was reading a movie. The characters were extremely well set forth and it seemed as if every character, no matter how small the part might have initially seemed, fit into a larger cog...right down to the two Honolulu detectives. I have to say I never saw the ending coming and after reading about the forthcoming books from this author I realized he introduced future antagonists within the book itself. Well done.
My wife is reading it now and just put off breakfast as she doesn't want to put it down. Thanks for a great book...one destined to be on the book shelves for decades to come.
I'm really glad you loved this one too! I had a lot of fun reading and reviewing it, that is for sure. Thank you for the comment.
TerriSpree

Post by TerriSpree »

This book literally forced me to stay up late, late, late as the last 100 or so pages wouldn't let me stop. I just couldn't stop and then continued to read about his forthcoming books and wish they were out now.
I loved the characters and the settings...and so much of it taking place in pre-war Japan was all the more interesting. This book had everything from mystery, to action, to immorality and morality and gut-wrenching, jaw-bone dropping battle scenes.
As a female it took a lot to get me to buy this book, but a friend of mine kept raving about it so I bought it and WOW!
I did notice it has a new cover, but apparently the story was the same as it matched up with what my friend described.
I love this book and am going to read it again.

-- 29 Jun 2017, 12:30 --
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

TerriSpree wrote:This book literally forced me to stay up late, late, late as the last 100 or so pages wouldn't let me stop. I just couldn't stop and then continued to read about his forthcoming books and wish they were out now.
I loved the characters and the settings...and so much of it taking place in pre-war Japan was all the more interesting. This book had everything from mystery, to action, to immorality and morality and gut-wrenching, jaw-bone dropping battle scenes.
As a female it took a lot to get me to buy this book, but a friend of mine kept raving about it so I bought it and WOW!
I did notice it has a new cover, but apparently the story was the same as it matched up with what my friend described.
I love this book and am going to read it again.

-- 29 Jun 2017, 12:30 --
This book really seems to be gaining traction in a wide variety of audiences. I'm glad to see someone else enjoyed it as much as I did. I agree, there was that much more to it than "War". It was amazing to see how someone like that could integrated themselves so fully into a culture who was previously their mortal enemy. Like you, I'm looking forward to seeing the next books come out!
JoeDaCritic
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... meleons</a>

Post by JoeDaCritic »

My dad would get on my case because he accused me of always being too critical. Later in life I figured out he was correct, but so what? That's me.
My co-worker told me about a book she'd read and loved. She caught my attention when she mentioned it was a WWII Pearl Harbor book. Ok, so I went on line and bought it for myself.
It was about 9 pm on a weeknight when I sat down to begin reading. 5 hours later I finally had to put it down and get to sleep. Damn you Mr. Nannini, you cost me a really tired day at work! I finished over the course of a Saturday, much to my wife's chagrin who wanted to go see a movie. I told her this book's going to be a movie and I'll take you and the kids and buy popcorn for everyone while we're at it.
If this book doesn't become a movie then Hollywood may as well go to China for all I care. Everything you could want is in it from explosive war scenes to personal relationships and so much more. I never knew for sure where the separation of fiction from nonfiction was. Great job Sir!!! Love it!

-- 30 Jun 2017, 17:34 --
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

JoeDaCritic wrote:My dad would get on my case because he accused me of always being too critical. Later in life I figured out he was correct, but so what? That's me.
My co-worker told me about a book she'd read and loved. She caught my attention when she mentioned it was a WWII Pearl Harbor book. Ok, so I went on line and bought it for myself.
It was about 9 pm on a weeknight when I sat down to begin reading. 5 hours later I finally had to put it down and get to sleep. Damn you Mr. Nannini, you cost me a really tired day at work! I finished over the course of a Saturday, much to my wife's chagrin who wanted to go see a movie. I told her this book's going to be a movie and I'll take you and the kids and buy popcorn for everyone while we're at it.
If this book doesn't become a movie then Hollywood may as well go to China for all I care. Everything you could want is in it from explosive war scenes to personal relationships and so much more. I never knew for sure where the separation of fiction from nonfiction was. Great job Sir!!! Love it!

-- 30 Jun 2017, 17:34 --
I agree 100% that this should be a movie! Unfortnately simply a good book does not a movie make. The author will have to be making the right pitches or ensure that the book catches the eye of the right producers. Let's hope the stars line up.
DanIsDone

Post by DanIsDone »

Well, in my opinion the author ought to get himself an agent or otherwise find a way to market this to Hollywood. Would sure be better than 85% of the movies they hoist on us every year!
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

DanIsDone wrote:Well, in my opinion the author ought to get himself an agent or otherwise find a way to market this to Hollywood. Would sure be better than 85% of the movies they hoist on us every year!

I agree, mostly because this not only has an exciting premise to it, but also that it has an intelligent plot that most people don't know/understand from this time period. It is both accurate and interesting - easily a double a whammy!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Great to know that the setting is in sync with its history, unlike some other history fiction. Thanks for the review
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I enjoy reading historical fiction with slight military acts. Thanksis for the review
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have never really been a great fan of historical fiction. However, this book seems to have an intriguing plot. Will definitely love to try it out.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have never really been a great fan of historical fiction. However, this book seems to have an intriguing plot. Will definitely love to try it out.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

It seems like an on the fence with this one but thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”