Favorite Historical Fiction Authors

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Favorite Historical Fiction Authors

Post by aparsons »

Normally I read fantasy and fiction, but I have gotten into historical fiction, mostly revolving around north american colonials and native americans. I found out about Jean Auel in college and I obsessed over her books. They were fascinating, more so because it dealt with no technology and the development of the main character's personality. Also I like the idea of the differences in primitive cultures. The only problem I have with it is that she hasn't finished the series. Does anyone have any other good historical fiction authors out there that they can recommend?
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
melly811
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melly811.html

Post by melly811 »

I really enjoy Barbara Hambly. Her Benjamin January series is different than most historical fiction in that it doesn't shy away from difficult topics or romanticize the past. You get a rarely shown perspective of a dark time in American history, and an engrossing mystery to solve in each book.
Hollyce
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyce.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Hollyce »

I've really enjoyed The Tea Rose series by Jennifer Donnelly and the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon.

The Tea Rose is one of my favorite books of all time. When I read it the first time, I really felt what the characters were going through and you are rooting for certain ones and not everything works out like it should. I've had a bunch of my friends read the series too (3 books) and we all like different ones best for different reasons. The Tea Rose starts in England and eventually moves to New York.

Outlander was one I wasn't sure I would like. It was recommended to me, so I read started reading it with the expectation that I wouldn't think it was very good. Boy was I wrong. There are 8 books in the series and I am part way through the last one. I am sad that I'm just about done because I feel like the characters have been with me for a long time. The series starts in Scotland & England and further into the series moves to the North Carolina & Virginia area. It covers a vast amount of time in history, so I thought it very interesting and the character development was great I thought.
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Daret Koudenkova
Currently Reading: Elizabeth I
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daret-koudenkova.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Daret Koudenkova »

Philippa Gregory is definetly a mogul in the historical fiction genre, there is also Alison Weir who has a similar writing style. They mainly write about the Tudor period which is my absolute favourite. Their books let you forget about the present and transport you to a whole different world. I have binge-read all of their books and am currently re-reading some of them. They are amazing writers and you can literally imagine being inside the Renaissance world of HenryVIII . It's awesome !

-- 25 Mar 2016, 08:28 --

Philippa Gregory is definetly a mogul in the historical fiction genre, there is also Alison Weir who has a similar writing style. They mainly write about the Tudor period which is my absolute favourite. Their books let you forget about the present and transport you to a whole different world. I have binge-read all of their books and am currently re-reading some of them. They are amazing writers and you can literally imagine being inside the Renaissance world of HenryVIII . It's awesome !
Jennifer Juniper

Post by Jennifer Juniper »

aparsons wrote:Does anyone have any other good historical fiction authors out there that they can recommend?
Historical fiction is my favorite genre. My favorite historical fiction author is Elizabeth Chadwick. The way she brings the medieval world to life is unbelievable.

You mentioned you are interested in fiction about the Colonial period of North America. I would absolutely recommend "The Winthrop Woman" by Anya Seton, it's a classic.
mnleona

Post by mnleona »

I like Traci Peterson; her books are clean. These are my favorite books to read and since I like the Tutor period, I will check on Philippa Gregory.
aparsons

Post by aparsons »

Thank you all for your recommendations. I'll make sure to let you know when I read some of them!
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

I really like Tracy Chevalier (The Last Runaway, Remarkable Creatures). She does an excellent job of researching the time periods and the non-fictional characters in her books. Her newest book, At the Edge of the Orchard, has Johnny Appleseed as a character which I think will be fun and interesting!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
aparsons

Post by aparsons »

That's sounds cool. I don't know much about the tall tale characters from american folktales, except what I've read from grade school. It sounds like that could be something I would like.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
_hbanga
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Perfect Chemistry</a>
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hbanga.html

Post by _hbanga »

Hollyce wrote:I've really enjoyed The Tea Rose series by Jennifer Donnelly and the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon.

The Tea Rose is one of my favorite books of all time. When I read it the first time, I really felt what the characters were going through and you are rooting for certain ones and not everything works out like it should. I've had a bunch of my friends read the series too (3 books) and we all like different ones best for different reasons. The Tea Rose starts in England and eventually moves to New York.

Outlander was one I wasn't sure I would like. It was recommended to me, so I read started reading it with the expectation that I wouldn't think it was very good. Boy was I wrong. There are 8 books in the series and I am part way through the last one. I am sad that I'm just about done because I feel like the characters have been with me for a long time. The series starts in Scotland & England and further into the series moves to the North Carolina & Virginia area. It covers a vast amount of time in history, so I thought it very interesting and the character development was great I thought.
I love The Tea Rose I just finished reading and I was blown away, such a good plot and you could really feel the pain, and struggle each character was going through. Super excited to finish the rest of the series.

I actually watch Outlander the show but I wished I read the books before I started, hoping to start the series soon though! :)
HarneetB
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5840">The Princess Bride</a>
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harneetb.html
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton

Post by HarneetB »

I am a big fan of Indu Sundaresan, The Twentieth Wife was an amazing book and I really enjoyed it. She captured this epic love story and drama so beautifully, it felt like I was part of the story. The book is based on an Empress in India and in films, tv shows, and literature she has been known to be evil and conniving and I like how this story tells us from her perspective and gives the reader the impression that she wasn't always this cold person. The events in her life shaped her that way. Sundaresan's writing was amazing and am excited to read more of her work.
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton
imerrns
In It Together VIP
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imerrns.html

Post by imerrns »

If you get the chance, look into the books by Kathleen O'neal Gear and Michael Gear. The have a ton of books
So, to save you some time, look into the 3 part series called: 1) coming of the storm 2) fire in the sky 3) a searing wind. This is an excellent series, I've read it 3 times already. The authors are archeologists so the attention to detail is amazing. The series is about the introduction of foreiners (Hernando De Soto) to the native americans.
mareem85
Currently Reading: The Tale of Nefret

Post by mareem85 »

Historical fiction is one of my favourite genres. I sometimes try other genres - biographies, fantasy, non-fictional. But I always love returning to a good historical fiction. Delving into the past is wonderful and when the author builds a story around eras and characters based on real life you can really engage and become absorbed in the "what might have been".
I have read some of the Outlander series, the characters are so well developed and you can truly relate to them (helps having a Scottish background too). I now enjoy watching the tv series now too. Philippa Gregory is a fantastic writer too. Thanks for sharing some other authors. I look forward to reading their books.
JPellegrini
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpellegrini.html

Post by JPellegrini »

Hollyce wrote:I've really enjoyed The Tea Rose series by Jennifer Donnelly and the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon.

The Tea Rose is one of my favorite books of all time. When I read it the first time, I really felt what the characters were going through and you are rooting for certain ones and not everything works out like it should.
Maybe I need to give this book another chance. When I read it the first time, I don't think I finished it because I was having a hard time getting into it. But based off your review, it sounds like I should try again. What do you think?
mkel138
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkel138.html

Post by mkel138 »

I like Karen Witemeyer, her writing seems to have historical significance along with romance that usually has a happy ending which is much appreciated in the books I read.

Return to “Historical Fiction”