May BOTM - Featured Review: Save the Last Bullet for God

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Re: May BOTM - Featured Review: Save the Last Bullet for God

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

I’m a simple woman, so I doubt I could handle the complex ideas in this novel. Great review, though.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Your review has piqued my interest in this book. It seems to be a very stimulating piece of work having touched upon such diverse subjects. I would love to read this one. I don't think it's an easy one to review, but you have done it full justice. Thank you for the thorough review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily Guerra »

This is an interesting review. At first, I didn't feel any attraction to the title. As I read your reaction and what the book is about, I became interested in the content. I'm a follower of Jesus Christ, I guess that's caused my first impression but when I read it wasn't attacking Christianity, that's when I said: "I need to read this book!"

I love the mental and emotional challenge on the content. Seems like its a very different kind of literature than what I'm used to reading. Thank you!
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Sounds like a wild adventure of a book! I love intellectual discourse and alternate histories so this seems perfect! And the title and cover art grab your interest right away. Nicely done!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

Wow with a title like that I wasn’t interested. Now after reading this review it sounds so interesting. It’s amazing isn’t it? That all of these things and events can come along and then you realize they haven’t snuffed out belief in God completely. They’ve tried so hard for centuries and they can’t get rid of this belief.
03_Mexico
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by 03_Mexico »

This book is truly interesting! I start reading and next thing I know it’s already been a few hours. I’ve always been a fan of science fiction but this one takes the cake. But what I enjoy most is how the author really makes the readers look at things from a different perspective.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This one sounds a complex story. Aliens, psychology, physics and astronomy! It would take a skilled writer to pull that off. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Not my genre, but I enjoyed your review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Issa2507
Currently Reading: Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1)
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Issa2507 »

Not very interested in historical stories, but it looks like the twist that is involved in this book make it a “got to try book”, so, now I’m in.
Thanks for the review
soumswriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumswriter.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by soumswriter »

The title of the book caught my interest. The concept of human beings evolving into aliens is unique. This seems to be an interesting read for people who like complex works that encompass psychology, physics, astronomy and history etc. Thank you for the review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The jumping around in time could make it a bit more challenging to piece the story together, but then again maybe it is intended to add an overall complex feeling. You mentioned that the author uses complex ideas including psychology, physics, astronomy, history, and others. I wonder if the story makes us question what we consider reality.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow. The topic is certainly original and I like that you describe it as "stimulating". I like books that challenge me and make me think. However, I'm not much into sci-fi and I think this book is too "out there" for me.
Your review is very enthusiastic and honest, thank you.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Nice review, however a very easy choice to pass up on checking out this book. Too many books, too little time- a reader has to be more discerning. I might also be a bit biased because of the title- still no time to confirm my bias or otherwise.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Ms_Bookworm
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-bookworm.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ms_Bookworm »

After reading the review, I decided to download the book and I can't wait to read that final sentence. Thanks for such a thought-provoking review!
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." - Scout Finch
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I'm glad that you pointed out that this book is not an attack to any faith as it would discourage some readers. This seems to be up in my alley too, so I will be reading this. I am curious as to what the author cooked up, especially about the mission. Also, seeing the world and its historical events in a different perspective is really exciting. Thanks for this well-laid out review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Sounds like quite a unique book. Although I am a fan of science fiction, I mostly read the genre for fun and entertainment, and admittedly the idea of a story that jumps around in time does not appeal to me too much, nor do the subjects which seem overly heavy and complex. I will consider it though, thank you for your informative review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”